Chicks~We did a small batch a while back

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi, We were talking about putting up a picture or two of fresh hatched chicks. I can't find the thread, so I'll put them here. I usually can't post a picture on the 1st post in a thread.

Attachments

• chicks 1.jpg
    chicks 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 175

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a neat idea, how you have the thermometer probe inside of a plastic egg. How cute they are in their egg carton. :)

I am nervous and excited to do my first hatch here soon. I am going to try to time them out for my daughter's birthday.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
The probe, I encased in the gellish substance found in foot bed intended for foot comfort.
It has a delayed heating cooling similar to an egg, I thought.
No, we see it as a miracle each time. When we candle the eggs and see the progression it is thrilling.
The Chicks are a Leghorn Rock cross, some R I red, as they mature they aren't as calm and Sex linked. We have some Sex Linked that are the best most friendly hens!

We use an electric turner until the eggs are ready to hatch, than they are put into the containers with the bottoms cut out, for ventilation.

Journey, First batch: Great, keep a log of Temperature and Humidity, are you using a turner or turning by hand? Did you buy the Bator or make it? Time the hatch for the day before the birthday, they won't all hatch at the same time. Good for you!

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The probe, I encased in the gellish substance found in foot bed intended for foot comfort.
It has a delayed heating cooling similar to an egg, I thought.
No, we see it as a miracle each time. When we candle the eggs and see the progression it is thrilling.
The Chicks are a Leghorn Rock cross, some R I red, as they mature they aren't as calm and Sex linked. We have some Sex Linked that are the best most friendly hens!

We use an electric turner until the eggs are ready to hatch, than they are put into the containers with the bottoms cut out, for ventilation.

Journey, First batch: Great, keep a log of Temperature and Humidity, are you using a turner or turning by hand? Did you buy the Bator or make it? Time the hatch for the day before the birthday, they won't all hatch at the same time. Good for you!

I bought a used Hova-bator Genesis 1588 off of the same fella I bought my turkey poults from. Got it for $100. He took time to explain to me how best to use it and I was able to download the manual from the internet. It has an automatic turner...yay! I'll be sure to log the temps and humidity. I like to be very exacting with the details. I want to be sure it is working well. I have 2 extra thermometers and an extra hygrometer to put in there to make sure the 'bator is reading correctly. I've been studying up and feeding my hens well for good eggs. Thank you for the tip on the timing. I was wondering about that. I like the idea of the gel egg you made. That would respond slowly to temp changes like a real egg. Since we heat with wood, I am hoping I do not have too much fluctuation in temp and humidity. The body of the 'bator is made of dense Styrofoam and seems tightly sealed. My plants with humidity domes have done well in spite of the dry heat at least. Now to figure out the best room to keep it in.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We kept ours in the front room, the kitchen and front room are open. They aren't messy at all. It's nice to be able to look in any time and check.

Never seen a that bator in person, looks like a good one. This is going to so much fun for you guys.
I made our bator it works well, bought the turner.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I should put them on the kitchen table then, since it is the hub of the house. We will know the minute they pip. :)