Chipper

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What type of chipper would you suggest? Lots of tree limbs that I would like to use it for. It is worth the cost over just a burn pile?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't feel qualified to suggest a brand for you since the only two types I've ever used are a Troybilt Super Tomahawk (mine ) and a Bearcat ( a customers ).

My Troybilt is over 20 years old and a very good machine. What I like about it is that the screen is easy to access and change if you want a smaller or larger chip, or if your running garden waste through it which can be a little wet and clog the smaller holes of the fine screen.
That also makes it easy to clean out any clogs quickly.
It has the hopper for leaves and large hunks of garden stuff ( I run alfalfa hay, straw and leaves through mine ), and it has the branch chipper that you feed through the side.

Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, and I have also heard that Troybilt is not the quality product it used to be since GardenWay went out of business.

The Bearcat I would not recommend. It was inefficient, hard to use, and if you needed to unclog it you had to take half the machine apart.
I don't know how old the model I used is, but I don't think it was very old, and had only been used a handful of times. Maybe they have changed the design and improved it.

As to whether it's worth the cost, I guess that's up to you. We have lots of pine thinning on our property, as well as brush and various scrub. I love the chips I get from all the branches. It's also invaluable to me for the garden, it makes the most beautiful crumble out of leaves and hay.

If I were in the market for one today I would definitely go a bit bigger than you think you need. You can always put small stuff through a big chipper, but you can't put big stuff through a small chipper.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do not have one to suggest either. I do want one though. I feel having the chipper rather then burning small limbs will give me good wood chips to use as mulch in my beds and the paths in the woods. I also think it would be a great use for cutting up my compostable goods, leaves, ect into tinier pieces that will break down quicker in the pile.

I hope you find just what you need!

Here's a site with some suggestions based on needs and prices:

http://www.chippersdirect.com/stories/601-How-to-Pick-the-Perfect-Wood-Chipper.html

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a 15 YO Snapper Chipper/Shredder. While it does the job for wood, the leaf shredding part doesn't gravity feed well through the hopper and I need to constantly be pushing the leaves down toward the blades. SCARY!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got a 15 year old Cub Cadet chipper, been happy with that.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
I have a 15 YO Snapper Chipper/Shredder. While it does the job for wood, the leaf shredding part doesn't gravity feed well through the hopper and I need to constantly be pushing the leaves down toward the blades. SCARY!
Mine doesn't gravity feed either with light stuff and the large plastic pusher dealy that came with my shredder doesn't do the pushing the way I want it done :p so I just use a pine limb that's about 3 or 4 feet long and about wrist thick for feeding stuff in. Sometimes I contact the flails with it but since the wood is soft it just chips a bit. It hasn't been a problem and I am respectful of the danger.

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I would rather have the mulch from the limbs than burn. I am concerned about being able to start it. Some motors are harder to start than others. I checked out the link. Now to decide if I want to spend the $$$.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some chippers come with an electric starter option. You could put that on your list of comparisons.

They are all different I know, but mine is pretty easy to pull start. Easier than the lawn mower anyway.