Christmas Gift Ideas for my Son?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Help! Trying to figure out what to get for our son. He is single, never married, works on plant shutdowns or new construction and lives in a 5th wheel.

I've been looking at gift ideas, most of which involve alcohol, hot sauce, beard trimmers, grilling tools, socks, taco kits, tea, coffee and other so called manly stuff that does not fit his lifestyle.

Any ideas anybody?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gift cards for places to eat work for us.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't get him the socks. One year our boys refused to send their aunt a thank you note for really nice Christmas presents despite some urging. The next year she sent them socks and shoe laces as presents. They got the message and we thanked her for her help in teaching them manners.

It is hard coming up with a present for another adult, even if you know their lifestyle. If they have their household set up they usually don't need anything. Often if you try to guess it's not really wanted. I assume you regularly feed him and maybe even share your dandelion jelly. Giving him something you've made probably isn't much of a gift. You could volunteer to clean his 5th wheel on the third Saturday of each moth but would he really want you getting that intimate with where he lives? By 5th wheel I assume an RV which he might move to different work sites. That's typical in some construction. Would he even be close enough to you so you could do something like that?

I don't know enough about his lifestyle or what his hobbies might be or how he spends his spare time. I'll suggest something really radical and far out there, something I'd never do with my family because we just didn't do that but my wife's family did regularly. Talk to him about it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't give gifts at our home. We give experiences such as horseback riding for my granddaughter. Exploring cavarans with our grandson. Gift cert. to a restuarant we know they've been meaning to try, facial, etc.

Perhaps there is something he's been wanting to do? Movie tickets or tickets to some excursion? Book?

Usually adults already have what they need and sounds like he doesn't have the space for more stuff.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a tough one Bay. I have a hard time coming up with ideas for my own sons who are adamant about not wanting to "collect a bunch of junk".

A fifth wheel puts a limit on space also.
Something for his truck maybe? I suspect he does his own servicing, but maybe he could use fresh floor mats or a seat cover.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same dilemma here. Boys are 38 and 35. Although both live close and have homes. So DH usually wins with Gift cards to Menards so they can get what they need/want. I try to add a surprise. This year a nice western shirt for #2 son and a tie and tie bar for #2 son now that he has a desk job! (With dragons, his passion!) IF I recall he travels a lot. Wherever work is. BUT NEVER to another brutal IA winter ;) Warm gloves and hats, work clothes (#2 son loves double front Carhart work pants but hates spending the money on himself.) Good luck.

Latest posts