Christmas Tree Real Or Fake

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the smell of a real tree. Today we put up tree at work. About 20 years I have been collecting dog Christmas ornaments. I wait till after Christmas when they go 75% off and load up. Then the next Christmas I give them out to favorite clients. Client love getting a ornament of their breed, cost me about $1.25 a gift. What tree do you prefer real or fake ?

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a family tradition of cutting a Tree in Wyoming over Thanksgiving every year. So I prefer real.
Where do you get the ornaments? My dad is a vet and what you are saying sounds like a great idea

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I first started collecting them they where very hard to find. Now very easy a lot of chain stores now have them. I cleaned up at Kmart one Christmas. If you have a breed real hard to find ebay will have it, but ebay rarely has after christmas clearance. My favorite place is a up scale nursery called adams family farms they have big Christmas displays.right after xmas 50% off after New Years 75% off.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've only ever had a fake one. People always talk about the smell of a real tree, but when I go to someone's house that has a real one, I have never noticed a distinctive smell.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've only ever had a fake one. People always talk about the smell of a real tree, but when I go to someone's house that has a real one, I have never noticed a distinctive smell.
I only notice the smell when it's brought into the house. After that, I don't. Yep, never can smell real ones in people's homes.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe how it smells depends on variety and how fresh it is. A lot of trees on the lot may have ben there a long time.

Growing up, once I got to a certain age, Mom would send me to get a tree when Dad was at work and we were off from school. So this was well after Thanksgiving. We always used a red cedar, which have a smell when fresh. I'd find one in a fence row or in the pasture where it was pretty much alone so it had a decent shape and was thick enough. I've known people go looking for a tree in the woods where they are competing with the other trees for sunlight. You are not going to find a full tree there.

I'd cut a pretty big one, way too big. Then take the top maybe 6' for the Christmas tree. The top of the trees were pretty thick and I'd pay attention to that shape when selecting which one. I'd strip the limbs off the section below the Christmas tree and let it dry out. Once it cured it made a good fence post. Not as good as one made from cedar heartwood but still pretty good.

Now though we don't even put one up. We are hardly ever here, not since we have grandkids. We normally go there. Another son manages a movie theater in that area and has a hard enough time getting a day off during the holiday season let alone enough to make a trip. So we get most of the family together by going there.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We never had an artificial tree.

We still have the Norfolk Island Pine from last year. That's not really a Christmas tree but ... I think we have had them before. This is a first time to carry one through the summer.

My family owned several acres of forest here but it was nearly all ponderosa or lodgepole pine. The Douglas fir were few and I :) insisted that we didn't cut any. ... I'd been okay with cutting the pine but nobody wanted them.

So, we bought, and way back when - we stopped for a permit from the Forest Service and went up on public land and got a tree. A purchased tree died one year. In water but ... it died.

I have a good nose, maybe too good. I didn't say a thing about that tree but I knew that about a week after it went up, it died. S'okay. Smelled like firewood ;).

Steve anonymous

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I prefer real, but this year was contemplating a fake tree, one of those skinny rustic ones to fit in a spot that's too close to the woodstove for a real tree. (too much furniture now with a big couch)

I have managed to dilly dally and procrastinate about ordering one...

Yesterday one of the neighbor kids came over, nine year old Olivia, and I put her to work setting out the Nativity sets I have. That was so much fun we decided to go out back and look for a skinny tree to put in the only reasonable spot left for a real tree. It's a weird spot, but it works.

We found this little guy and Olivia decorated it all by herself. We agreed we should keep it simple. :)

DSCN4246.JPG

Afterward we broke out the stack of coloring books and the big box of pencils and drank hot cocoa while we colored and chatted.
I love my neighbors. :love

Latest posts