close to last harvest

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
we had the most wonderful rain all night and it's cool today. I picked some eggplant, a few okra, two beans :), lots of peppers. not bad

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yup, getting near to the end for me...i was a little worried last night, one weather forecast said low of 34, but it wasnt that cold in my garden. I did see a patch of frost on my way to work this morning though, yikes! My green beans are still producing like crazy, it would be nice to get more in the freezer. But i'm not getting 3 gallons at a time like Digits!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ive bot a few tomatoes left on the vine but they were late and kept growing so I left them. Figure I'd let them ripen outside vs on the counter. But I could have folded up shop a few weeks ago too. Things here got a late start but that was my own fault.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had 3" of rain at 3:30 and it is a little cooler. Raining now and supposed to rain all night and tomorrow. :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My eggplant and peppers had such a struggle a couple months ago. They are very stunted but the Italian Sweet have done well enuf to provide some peppers for the kitchen. There will be some Super Chili & Thai Hots.

The eggplant, Dusky & AppleGreen, are just now becoming useful. There will be a few Dusky Italian bells and we've already eaten some of the AppleGreen. You know, based on those eggplants and growing Asian green eggplants for a few years, I thought that green eggplants were non-bitter. I learned differently in the Year of the Potato Bug Hoard! I think it is stress that causes bitterness in young eggplants. For the 2nd time that I can remember, the AppleGreen are bitter :/.

I'd almost welcome a slowdown in the harvest right now. It has been a lovely afternoon and the harvest moon will rise shortly :cool:! Tomorrow is supposed to be windy with rain on Sunday, pretty well guaranteed. I hope it won't be like last Sunday with a dust storm preceding the rain!

The sweet corn is still coming altho' it will soon run out. So many tomatoes! Just a nice pleasant cool down to slow everything. What we've had so far has been a little rocky. Maybe a little bit of rain - after dark and with no wind . . . If I miss any vegetable out there, I don't know what it would be. The harvest season has just progressed nicely and, soon, an "average" frost. If it delays much longer, it won't be "average." I'll have to throw myself at the pumpkins before that big event! Odd - there are lots of pumpkins this year and almost zero winter squash. Oh, there are a few but there was that miserably cool and windy spring. And, I just want to mention "the rabbit," hoping that someone will take a shotgun and . . . . . :rolleyes:

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice soft rain started here! first of the season! :)

Super glad to hear TEXAS is getting rain!!!

Latest posts