Coffee, Old School

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
In 2016 I traded in my drip coffee maker for an electric percolator. Works great, love that it's easy to store in a cupboard (as opposed to having a coffee maker sit on the counter permanently). And the coffee is actually hot, a necessary thing when you use as much half/half as I do.

So then I went all crazy and decided to go real old school and get a stovetop perc.
All stainless and glass, no plastic, no aluminum. :)

Today was my first attempt. I had read every variation on length of perk time and all I can say is some people must like hot water with a faint memory of a lonely coffee bean.

So finally I figured it out after a few false starts and scrambling around on Google.
It takes about 30 minutes of perking to get the color I want. Who was that person I read that said 5? :tongue
I'm going to have to start getting up a whole lot earlier.

Anybody use a stovetop perc?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not now, I use a drip. Mom used one when I was growing up and I had one I used when camping years ago. Now I use those "tea bag" things for coffee when I can't make coffee but can make hot water. I would not call that good coffee but's better than no coffee in the morning.

It does take a while to get it perked but how many grounds you put in the basket has a direct effect on how strong it is. You id use grounds didn't you? Surely you did not try whole beans! :ep

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ya know, when something better comes along I use it. My drip coffeemaker works great. I grind my own beans. We had a Sufficient Self thread about coffee several years ago, and realized that it is stale ground out of the packaging, so beans ground at home are freshest. I use vinegar to clean my machine. I also drink it black...as GOD intended. :gig
I also used a hand grinder when we did 26 years of CW Reenacting.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha, Ridge! Yes, I did use grounds...most people whose comments I read said french press grind works best, but I just used my regular drip grind and didn't find a lot of grounds in my coffee.

If you've never done a coffee making search on Google, for any type of method you'll find a unending supply of nerds. I'm not trying that hard, I mostly want to be familiar with non-electric perk for camping. I guess I'm getting to be fussier about flavor than I used to be though, and look forward to my morning cup.

I finally pulled the electric perc out of the cupboard this morning, in case my learning curve was going to take a few days, (and also I was starting to get grumpy, haha) and in a side by side comparison, the stovetop cup was noticeably deeper and richer.

.....oooh, maybe I'm a coffee nerd after all? :eek:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
So many gadgets! haha Whenever I want a cup of coffee, I boil some water. Then I have one of those plastic filter holders that I put over my cup. Put in a filter and about 2 heaping teaspoons of grounds. Pour the water in and voila!

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So many gadgets! haha Whenever I want a cup of coffee, I boil some water. Then I have one of those plastic filter holders that I put over my cup. Put in a filter and about 2 heaping teaspoons of grounds. Pour the water in and voila!

Mary

Gadgets? Stop being so contrary Mary! A coffeepot is not a gadget, it's what separates us from the barbarians. Like socks and underwear.
(Now that you've confessed to us about your sorry coffee brewing habits, puhleeeze don't tell us you don't wear socks and underwear). :eek:

Just kidding Mary...:p

Last edited:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Coffee, If coffee is a necessary part of your life~If you gone through the: I'm going to cut down or stop drinking COFFEE~and have come to the realization that Coffee is a Friend of Choice. THEN~the COFFEE MAKINGS and TOOLS HAVE A PLACE IN YOUR KITCHEN.

When you find out what you need to make Your Coffee, as you Want it as you LIKE it.
Those things it takes to make Your Coffee are not, will never be in the way.

How often does a person drink coffee if they put the maker, the pot or Surgamaan away.

Yes, fresh ground is best, we now use some pre ground coffee because wife and oldest daughter are working. It's terrible to admit and worse to be subject to.
But, I've taken it in stride and have not/do not complain.

Latest posts