Coffee.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I would share my experience with growing a coffee plant in case anyone is growing, or intends to grow, a plant. The plant was tiny when I got it, but a very nice healthy green. After several weeks the leaves began to turn yellow and pale. No amount of fertilizer would solve the problem, so I tried adding iron, with no improvement. As a last resort, I added acid and the plant showed some improvement. Then, I added a lot more acid and the plant took off. I thought they needed shady conditions, however, when I placed it in the greenhouse recently I gave it full sun. The plant has responded by increasing the size of its leaves tremendously. When I bring it indoors for the winter I intend to place it under a LED grow light in warm conditions.

coffee.jpg

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@jackb
Your coffee looks very well!
I have a similar problem with Murraya paniculata today. Also the leaves turn yellow. I sprayed plant chelate iron. Did not help. What acid are you using? Watering? Spraying? And how often?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb
Your coffee looks very well!
I have a similar problem with Murraya paniculata today. Also the leaves turn yellow. I sprayed plant chelate iron. Did not help. What acid are you using? Watering? Spraying? And how often?
I am using Scotts Evergreen for flowering trees and shrubs for acid loving plants, monthly.

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if you could use Miracle-gro's Miracid. It's a water soluble plant food for acid loving plants.
And @jackb, I had a feeling when I saw a post labeled "coffee" from you that it wouldn't be about Starbucks.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if you could use Miracle-gro's Miracid. It's a water soluble plant food for acid loving plants.
And @jackb, I had a feeling when I saw a post labeled "coffee" from you that it wouldn't be about Starbucks.
I am sure that you could use Miracid, I had the Scotts on hand as it is slow release and we use it for rhododendrons.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Jack, can a coffee plant take a frost?
Coffee prefers a temperature from 60 to 75F and is very sensitive to cold and frost, with the latter destroying both leaves and fruit. That said, it was outdoors all summer and the temperature varied way beyond that range. Presently it is in the greenhouse chilling with the olives, with the temperature in the 40s. I did notice a bottom leaf that does not look happy, so I think I will move it indoors soon. The olives can take temperatures to about 28 F or so, but I don't like the temperature to get that low. I hold off on the heat for as long as possible.

Latest posts