Cold Frames

Reaction score
Anyone use one?

I'd really like to start.. but it's one of those projects I'll probably have to figure out myself (unless I decide to convert the chicken teepee into one ;) )

Have any tips or pointers to share?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had problems with a cold frame, Queen. They have so little air volume that controlling the temperature becomes difficult. You will find gardeners who are absolutely successful in their use of a cold frame, however.

What I have been successful with is using small greenhouses and tunnels. They are all just a little more tolerant of my inattentiveness than the cold frame I once had because of their volume and because of what I expect from each of them.

The smaller the structure, the less I ask of it. The really tiny ones (like 4' by 8') aren't used real early in the Spring and don't have plants in them for very many days.

Is there a possibility that you could use a little more room? A larger tunnel may not cost any more than a well-built cold frame. (Might not be any more complicated than your "chicken teepee," either :)

Take a look at this thread, there are some photographs of what I'm talking about.

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you want it for growing things in, or just for hardening indoor-grown seedlings off before transplanting? They are somewhat different. The latter is much easier.

It can be worth springing for an automatic opener, especially if you wnat to actually GROW in a coldframe... and if you want to grow in a coldframe and you aren't around the house all the time during the day, an auto opener is almost a necessity.

In general two things that will make your life much easier and help minimize the temperature swings Steve mentions: 1) do not locate the cold frame in full sun (morning and afternoon sun with noontime shade is good), and 2) try to make it bigger than you think you need, and pack as much thermal mass in there as you can (cement rubble bedded in gravel, and/or containers of water).

Pat

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When my DH built our raised bed(s), we left one corner with only about 5" of soil in it and walled it off from the surrounding soil with bricks. Then we put an old window (frame with glass) over the top (level with the surrounding soil and raised bed frame). So it was sort of an in-ground coldframe.

I thought the idea was great. But to be honest, I didn't use it well enough to get great results from the early lettuce and other things I sowed in it. So after four years, I just filled it in and sow lettuce when it's good and ready to grow naturally.

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It can be worth springing for an automatic opener, especially if you wnat to actually GROW in a coldframe... and if you want to grow in a coldframe and you aren't around the house all the time during the day, an auto opener is almost a necessity.
Pat
Good point I wonder if a thermostatically controlled attic fan could work as well?

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When we first moved to our rented slice of country heaven, there was a raised bed (approximately 4' x 8') attached to the east-end of our front porch. Our second summer here, I convinced Skip that it would be a good spot for a cold frame since it gets a decent amount of sun from some southern exposure.

The first year, we used heavy duty clear plastic to cover the frame lid...it lasted through one season before falling to pieces.

47b7d738b3127cce9854801e845100000037100FYtm7ho2Y-

Ironically, that spring, we began working one day a week at an orchid greenhouse/s and were able to get a recycled sheet of Lexan to replace the plastic lid.

47b7d738b3127cce98548011056e00000038100FYtm7ho2Y-

47b7d738b3127cce9854801f056000000037100FYtm7ho2Y-

The Lexan sheet has a few holes from prior hail damage but works just fine for our cold frame.

I've used our cold frame to over-winter Brugmansia cuttings, potted bulbs that aren't hardy in our zone 7 and for starting some seeds. For perennial seeds, I usually use the winter sowing method.

The only thing I'd change would be to add an automated lid opener.

More cold frame pix.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Latest posts