collecting rain water for yor animals

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Talk about city water, city water IN the city is like 100 x worse than city water just out side of the city. I come home (in a city) to city water and it is drinkable after boiling no problem. Go back to school for the week, I nearly gag every Sunday night when brushing my teeth due to that nasty chlorine smell... And the difference is just 20 miles away from city center. I think our water out here comes from a different source than down town water. I can't believe the people in the bathrooms that can just drink from the tap!!

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yea I am in NEPA, We are surrounded by woods and the hubbys grampa's farm. They, as well as the neighbors 1/4 mile away or so seem to have trouble with their water level every year. We have never had a problem. But we catching alot of flack from the grandparents about how much water we use for our aniamls and my garden and even to wash dishes. And mind you we actually don't use that much inside the house the majority of our useage is outside. So I am a bit of a treehugger anyway so I figured I would just try to do my part to substise my outside useage some. The barrels for my garden have worked out great and I figured that the animals where just the next logical step.
I was thinking of a closed above ground citrine system nothing so big that the water would be there for to long few months at most. like 300-500 gal with a filter of some sort. Maybe something concrete? :/ In ground would be great though because it would not freeze in the winter. But we live in what I like to call a stone quarry where you can not plant anything in the ground with out a pick ax and some topsoil.
I really like Pat's idea with the mosquitofish and water plants to clean the water. In my barrels for my garden I use the mosquito dunks but you can't use those for animal water.

hmm... maybe by the time sring actually gets here I may possibly have this figured out. :rolleyes:

Latest posts