Combination - Veggies 1st, then Summer Flowers

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With @Branching Out and @meadow expressing interest in Asian greens, commenting on their quickness to grow and beauty, I was reminded of something that I have done on several seasons in ornamental beds.

Dahlias do not need to be kept in storage all that late, despite being warm season plants. The roots absolutely cannot freeze but even light frost above ground isn't likely to cause them any threat since the tubers are buried under several inches of soil. After being set out, I have grown Asian greens above the dahlias.

This may have worked okay with other ornamental plants like the larger varieties of zinnias. Allow for the room the zinnia transplants will require and move the greens into the beds.

I have used several varieties of bok choy - don't go for the large types. Even mustard greens, which might be quite large later in the season, can be harvested by pulling the entire plant early. You don't even need to go with the tiny versions of bok choy or tatsoi. However, have plans for using your greens early as those big ornamental plants begin revving up to take over with their space requirements. (Maybe kimchi ;)?)

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
while the tulips and daffodils may not really like it i used to for many years grow the beans over the bulbs after the bulbs had mostly died down.

the bulbs do much better when allowed to dry out more but beans plants need regular watering so there were disease problems. we've since removed the tulip bulbs from most of one larger garden so this isn't as much of an issue now, but in the back corner i probably won't be growing beans any longer because it's the last tulip garden i have.

so this is the opposite of what you are asking about, but it can be ok in either direction with the right plant selections.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With @Branching Out and @meadow expressing interest in Asian greens, commenting on their quickness to grow and beauty, I was reminded of something that I have done on several seasons in ornamental beds.

Dahlias do not need to be kept in storage all that late, despite being warm season plants. The roots absolutely cannot freeze but even light frost above ground isn't likely to cause them any threat since the tubers are buried under several inches of soil. After being set out, I have grown Asian greens above the dahlias.

This may have worked okay with other ornamental plants like the larger varieties of zinnias. Allow for the room the zinnia transplants will require and move the greens into the beds.

I have used several varieties of bok choy - don't go for the large types. Even mustard greens, which might be quite large later in the season, can be harvested by pulling the entire plant early. You don't even need to go with the tiny versions of bok choy or tatsoi. However, have plans for using your greens early as those big ornamental plants begin revving up to take over with their space requirements. (Maybe kimchi ;)?)

Steve
Thank you for this wonderful suggestion. We have a lot of dahlias that take up significant garden real estate but that don't even produce a bloom until July or August. Over-planting them with Asian greens would turn those bare patches into productive garden space, and the roots of the greens would insulate the tubers and feed the soil too. Makes me think the dahlias could sprout sooner by having a living mulch over top like this. @digitS', do you find that your dahlias bloom earlier with this method?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... do you find that your dahlias bloom earlier with this method?
I haven't noticed that, Branching Out.

There have been some growing seasons in this climate, when there have been only one bloom on a dinner-plate variety. This isn't common, fortunately!

Edit:
And, that reminds me -- don't think of Napa cabbage as being useful for this. The only way that I have been consistently successful with those is to start them under protective cover in early Spring and leave it up until June. Then, they have grown into proper shape and need to be harvested before Summer heat. Your coastal climates may allow for a longer season but Napa cabbage likes comfortable temperatures.

Steve

Last edited: