Combine Plants to Rid Enemies

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mind is going in my old age. I have looked all over here and I am starting to think I saw it in a book instead. SOMEWHERE there is information that tells plants that you can combine to help ward off the enemy insects. Seems to me it had things like planting radishes under zuck and squash to run off squash borers. I have been looking all over for it and maybe someone knows where it is? :hu

Thanks
Hobby

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do a search under "companion planting" and it will come right up.. Sorry, I don't know how to link it. Good luck!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know you are probably looking for a vegetable garden strategy, but I ran into this interesting info for attracting and keeping the beneficial bugs around ... good images of the good insects also, to help get to know your friends ... :)

There are many perennials and annuals that will benefit biological control efforts, as well as helping the bees... these are some suggestions.
(Note: Tansy is toxic to grazing animals, and Queen Anne's Lace is a listed invasive in some states)

Attracting Beneficial Insects

Beneficial Insects 101

Anyway, I found it interesting. I have grown many of these plants for years, many others, and several herbs... and also attract birds.
I see all of these beneficial bugs in my gardens, which means I most likely have some bad bugs, yet the only pests I have had to deal with in the last ten years are deer ... and a woodchuck. :somad

I did not purchase the beneficial insects, they just wandered in.
It may not work in all situations, but it is really is worth trying if you can.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This is the Best I can do--Vegetable Friends and Foes (from a link to the Farmer's Almanac article of the same name that no longer works). Couple THIS list with Lavendar's list (above) and you'll do pretty well. :D

BEANS
FRIEND FOE
Beets Garlic
Broccoli Onions
Cabbage Peppers
Carrots Sunflowers
Cauliflower
Celery
Corn
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Peas
Potatoes
Radishes
Squash
Strawberries
Summer savory
Tomatoes
CORN
FRIEND FOE
Beans Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Lettuce
Melons
Peas
Potatoes
Squash
Sunflowers
ONIONS
FRIEND FOE
Beets Beans
Broccoli Peas
Cabbage Sage
Carrots
ettuce
Peppers
Potatoes
Spinach
Tomatoes
CABBAGE
FRIEND FOE
Beans Broccoli
Celery Cauliflower
Cucumbers Strawberries
Dill Tomatoes
Kale
Lettuce
Onions
Potatoes
Sage
Spinach
Thyme
CUCUMBERS
FRIEND FOE
Beans Aromatic herbs
Cabbage Melons
Cauliflower Potatoes
Corn
Lettuce
Peas
Radishes
Sunflowers
PEPPERS
FRIEND FOE
Basil Beans
Coriander Kohlrabi
Onions
Spinach
Tomatoes
CARROTS
FRIEND FOE
Beans Anise
Lettuce Dill
Onions Parsley
Peas
Radishes
Rosemary
Sage
Tomatoes
LETTUCE
FRIEND FOE
Asparagus Broccoli
Beets
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
Corn
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Onions
Peas
Potatoes
Radishes
Spinach
Strawberries
Sunflowers
Tomatoes
RADISHES
FRIEND FOE
Basil Beans
Coriander Kohlrabi
Onions
Spinach
Tomatoes

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lavender2 said:
I know you are probably looking for a vegetable garden strategy, but I ran into this interesting info for attracting and keeping the beneficial bugs around ... good images of the good insects also, to help get to know your friends ... :)

There are many perennials and annuals that will benefit biological control efforts, as well as helping the bees... these are some suggestions.
(Note: Tansy is toxic to grazing animals, and Queen Anne's Lace is a listed invasive in some states)

Attracting Beneficial Insects

Beneficial Insects 101

Anyway, I found it interesting. I have grown many of these plants for years, many others, and several herbs... and also attract birds.
I see all of these beneficial bugs in my gardens, which means I most likely have some bad bugs, yet the only pests I have had to deal with in the last ten years are deer ... and a woodchuck. :somad

I did not purchase the beneficial insects, they just wandered in.
It may not work in all situations, but it is really is worth trying if you can.
I've had great luck with Copper Canyon daisies where I have aphid ans white fly problems.. They are actually a perrenial marigold and get up three feet tall with daisy like bright yellow flowers. When you so much as touch them they put out a lemony/minty/musk odor that insects just don't like.

It may sound counter intuitive but a band of undisturbed weeds arround the garden gives the beneficial insects a breeding ground. They attract pests and the pests in turn attract predators which patrol your garden in their spare time.
BTW chucks are tasty in the spring when they've been out of hibernation long enough to put some fat back on. The ultimate revenge. ;)

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ducks, I am not sure I agree with cabbage broccoli and cauliflower not getting along? What is the issues there, any idea? I have always planted mine side by side and I guess never noticed a problem. I realize you are just copying, but what is your thought there? Is it because one attracts more worms than another does?

Hobby

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Ducks, I am not sure I agree with cabbage broccoli and cauliflower not getting along? What is the issues there, any idea? I have always planted mine side by side and I guess never noticed a problem. I realize you are just copying, but what is your thought there? Is it because one attracts more worms than another does?

Hobby
The only reason I see for not planting them together is that they share the same pests and diseases so putting them all in one place makes it easier for the pests to concentrate there.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My thought too. I wonder if that is the reason for most of the foes?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Grow 4 Food and hoodat--this wasn't my list. I copied it from a Better Homes and Gardens online article. The article suggested that the "foes" don't do well planted next to each other in your garden.
I'm happy to be wrong with it, and I have no problem benefitting from YOUR experiences. :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are definitely friends and enemies among plants. The classsic exmple is the Amrican Indians "Three sisters" beans, corn and squash. he corn benefits from the nitrogen the beans generate, the beans can climb on the cornstalks and they both benefit from the natural shading of the squash which smothers weeds.
On the other hand some plants, especailly some trees and shrubs, are alelopathic. They put out natural substances that stunt the growth of plants around them an/or stop seeds from sprouting. A classic example of this is black walnut which will not allow anything to grow under it, red cedar which stunts other plants and eucalyptus which not only stunts growth but stops many seeds from ever sprouting.

Latest posts