Common Purslane

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AKA Portulaca oleracea or verdulaga in Spain, is a weed we have LOTS of in the yard this year.

I know my grandparents (being from Western Europe) have eaten this for years. Does anyone else find a use for this plant? Any recipes?

Here's a pic of what the plant looks like:
verdolaga.jpg

It's really too small to eat now but I'm curious. I've learned that it has tons of OMEGA-3's and is very nutritious but kind of sour and salty.

If anyone else knows any other uses, let me know!

Thanks
Carlos

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've tried small-to-medium-sized leaves of it in green salad and in pasta salads. Can't say it's really my thing. I toss it to the chickens, they really like it :)

Pat

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah the chickens seem to like it a lot.

I'll try it out in a salad soon.

My grandfather says it taste good mixed in with some scrambled eggs, he says the saltiness and sourness is mellowed out by the eggs. I'll try that too!

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have to 3rd...the chickens like it! :cool:

Dawn

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My husband nibbles on it when outside, but doesn't like the consistency cooked. Yep, chickens enjoy it! :)

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No way!! I have ordered purslane seed and it turns out this is a weed that has always grown in my garden! Cool beans! Is this super low growing and the base easily breaks off?

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am also wondering if this looks similar to any other plant that is not edible...

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I am also wondering if this looks similar to any other plant that is not edible...
Yeah there a lot of different varieties. Portulaca oleracea is what I'm referring to. Most of the varieties of Portulaca are edible but do use some caution.

Latest posts