common sense is out the window

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
being on vacation i am still on call for any emergencies that may arise down at work..fair enough.
have received 3 calls been able to walk my helper though 2 of them, tripped circuit breaker and loss of power to a hoist.... nothing big.

while outside between showers my helper called and asked how to do a "rga" <return goods authorization> form to sent back a part and how to do a "ra" <repair authorization> on a controller... asked a couple questions all i got was.... i don't know. he handed me over too that department supervisor was told that both rga and ra where being sent to the g/m's computer. perfect so why are you calling me? how do we ship them back..really:confused: almost fell off the well cover laughing to myself.

explained in detail where to find a box,bubble wrap and tape to ship back the parts, told him that somebody will have to drive to the ups store with either cash or the company credit card. ok thanks end of call.

moments later the g/m called, she called how much will it cost to sent the box back..really :he
explained to her that you will need the dimensions and weight of the box as well the zip code and call the ups store for a price with or without extra insurance.... ok thanks end of call.. that call was just too funny.

before saying anything more yes they count on me and i will do anything for them... but how to ship a box... wonder what they are going to call tomorrow with..........where has common sense gone too..????

do you have a story on common sense blunders..?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my daughter went to the hospital to deliver her youngest son, she was in labor from noon until 3:45 the next morning. At just a bit after 8:00 my daughter had a phone call from work. The boss's secretary was on the line. "Ask her how she's doing." came a male voice over the phone.

"How are you doing? " asked the secretary. After a few formalities were gone through, the boss was asking how to handle this account and what to do about that one.

It ended up that she got zero days off for maternity as she 'worked' at least half a day from that time on calling clients, arranging phone meetings, clearing up questions. She got paid for all the days she should have been on leave because she was working from the hospital or home every day.

Enjoy your time off.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG... they can't even figure out how to mail a box!
I do not know if this falls into the common sense category but DH is the BA for the local painters and allied trades. Right now he is trying to fill jobs at a BIG fertilizer plant being built south of here. People from all over the country are calling wanting the jobs. Then freaking out when they find out there will be a 12 panel drug screen and alcohol swab. One guy showed up with a blood alcohol 3X the legal limit! DUH. Then they let him DRIVE home !!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Carol Dee, that's just scary.

Major, you are obviously very essential to your company. It's a wonder they let you drive home at night, much less take a vacation.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Common in Ag. People want to apply for a job. Soon as drug test mentioned, they can't get out fast enough.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once put a ad on Craig list for weekend help, I had over 50 replies the first day. I hired someone who didn't work out and had to put ad up again, this time I put must be able to pass drug test, 6 replies!!!!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, nothing like job security!

that is so true, but as the owner has said in the past everyone can be replaced........

Wow Carol Dee, that's just scary.

Major, you are obviously very essential to your company. It's a wonder they let you drive home at night, much less take a vacation.

have slept a many nights down at work.....

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a really weird phone call from our mechanic, I sent this email to a friend to vent:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just got a phone call:

mechanic: Hey Deb, I’m looking at the PM report
…..
me: Ok, Is there something you need Peewee?
mechanic: Yeah, Eric’s truck is on the report
me: Ok
mechanic: Well I just did that!

me: Peewee, what is the date on the report you’re looking at?
mechanic: 3/27
me: So the service is showing as ‘due’, on a report that was printed 3 days ago?
mechanic: Yes!
me: And you turned in a service report this morning for something you did this weekend?
mechanic: That’s what I’m saying!
me: And it’s not showing on the report that was printed … the day BEFORE you did the service?
mechanic: Yes! And I did that service already so it shouldn’t be on there

me: I’ll print you a new report

Is it just me or has common sense gone out of style? I guess the software has gone bad in the typing paper, it’s apparently not providing instant updates ……..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2lxwef8[1].gif