companion planting

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nasturtiums for any of your watermelons, squash or cucumbers. Potatoes? Haven't heard of any except maybe marigolds or painted daisies. I bet someone on this forum knows one, though!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Potatoes:

I always plant horseradish at the corners of my potato beds. Marigolds are nice, too. I sometimes plant one eggplant as a lure, per bed.

If you are looking for vegetables to plant with them, you can try beans. Also corn...though it's a little late, since it's planted, and cabbage.

I never plant tomatoes with potatoes.

Watermelons:

Again, marigolds. Also, nasturtiums.

I am always careful not to overplant marigolds. Some are good, but more are not necessarily better.

There's more to it, but I think this is a good place to start. I hope it helps! :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Corn or sunflowers help shade watermelons since they do enjoy that in the afternoon.

I agree with the other suggestions.

Just adding my opinion as well.

calee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I second the recommendation for beans & marigolds with potatoes. They also *look* pretty in combination (marigolds around the edges, then potatoes, then bush beans, then runner beans). I've been thinking about making a child's teepee garden with this combination so our son would have a little hideaway.

Latest posts