composting

thedeacon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Started a new compost pile this fall. I let a portion of the yard grow a little longer than normal. But for a reason. After the leaves fall I mow and bag the mixed green grass and the brown leaves. I also have apple trees. Excessive crop, even after giving at least 1/2 of it away for various uses. I added a layer of apples between layers of the clippings. Chicken droppings come next. Not every layer but every other layer. It has settled quite a bit so need to add more stuff. I don't plan on turning it at all. I will see how much breakdown by next spring and if enough with sinple spread it out on the garden and till it in. I also dug 3 trenches, using a "V" plow attachment for my tiller and filled them up with apples. I covered them and in the spring will again just till them into the soil. I made the trenches at an angle so won't plant a whole row on top of them.
All season long I bag my 1 1/2 acre chicken yard and put the clippings on the garden, usually 6-8 inched thick. Excellent for keeping down the weeds and holding in the moisture. I water ver seldom. this year only twice as no rain in August and average day temps of 85-95.
Yes, this is my little haven in the country. A complete turn around form my daytime city job.

Later

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 9 apple trees so I understand EXTRA APPLES, but here I let the chickens have them lil by lil. Keeping them outside in barrels in the cold-they get ugly and soft but the girls dont mind.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How much your pile breaks down will probably depend upon how cold you get this winter, how big your pile is, and whether you have taken measured to insulate and/or protect from excessive moisture. At least that is what I figure. I try not to be too scientific about composting.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The neighbor's horses get our apples. Little by little too. Now they expect apples whenever we leave the house. :rolleyes:

Latest posts