Container planting, what to use as a filler?

havi

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have these huge pots that I want to plant in, but I dont want to waste a huge bag of potting soil in the whole thing. I want to put something in the bottom 1/4 and then fill the rest with soil. Ive thought about rocks, but that would be too heavy. Ive heard people use packing peanuts, but Ive never tried it. I saw an ad in a magazine I have, that is a green mesh looking stuff. It says its for a filler in the bottom of pots, but I dont want to waste a lot of money on those. Is there anything else I can use? What has worked for you?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
havi said:
I have these huge pots that I want to plant in, but I dont want to waste a huge bag of potting soil in the whole thing. I want to put something in the bottom 1/4 and then fill the rest with soil. Ive thought about rocks, but that would be too heavy. Ive heard people use packing peanuts, but Ive never tried it. I saw an ad in a magazine I have, that is a green mesh looking stuff. It says its for a filler in the bottom of pots, but I dont want to waste a lot of money on those. Is there anything else I can use? What has worked for you?
Maybe Sand, or you could just add the bottom with soil from the garden then add potting soil on top. Their has to be other ways.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I never use the potting mixes unless I am planting seeds. I always buy a block of peat, mix in some potting mix, extra peat, and then sand. This mixes well in a wheelbarrow. Sometimes if I am acclimating some plants to my existing soil I might add a dash of the ground to that mix.

It does seem the cheapest way would be to take your normal earth and bring it to the height within the pot that you wish to start your planting mix. This would be the same as if you were adding a spot in your flower beds.

I want to see pictures when you are done. I have two big planters out at my gate that are planted with Feather Reed Grass. It has yet to reach its full potential that it does when it is planted in the ground directly. I am often tempted to replant those in the ground and try something else.

What was it you were going to plant in there havi?

Ron

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have huge pots that I would not be able to move around if they were filled with dirt, sand or rocks. So, I use packing peanuts. They work fine. I fill my container half way with peanuts and add potting soil on top. I guess I wouldn't do this for edible plants- God knows what poison those peanuts give off- but it certainly doesn't stop the flowers from growing. The only down side, when fall comes and you empty sometimes the roots have gone down into the peanuts and it gets a little messy...I plant elephant ears and canna in mine- so I dig them up. I reuse them year after year, just add more dirt. Good luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
By all means use packing peanuts (not the biodegradeable 'dissolving' kind! :p) or straw or something like that. Big containers get incredibly HEAVY if you fill them all the way with soil, or use anything heavy like sand or gravel as filler.

Actually I expect that plastic burlaplike feedbags, scroonched together real good and topped with a flat layer to keep soil mostly out, would work too. Or there may be other versions you could do, based on whatever you have lying around. Basically you want something low density (so it is light and drains) that will not crush or stink unduly, or exhibit other antisocial behavior, and top it with a layer of something flat but moderately waterpermeable, then top that with soil.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I need a filler in a huge pot. I just turn upside down a few nursery pots stacked to the height I want the bottom to be.
Then I use a pot saucer or plastic lid just the right size to make a false bottom. Then just add soil and plants.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Packing peanuts are great. Old rags work, so does straw. Icve used them in th epast. Bunched up cardbaorad would work too, I think.

Jus ensure that your containers drain well, so no water stands in their bottoms.

Pretty good advice for people, too....

Latest posts