Containing horseradish ideas...?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love the stuff and I know how obnoxious it is. I remember comments on here where someone suggested burying a pot to contain it.

My question is how big a pot and how deep? Was thinking of burying a 5 gallon bucket with horseradish in it since those are a lot cheaper than a large pot would be. Figured drill a few drain holes in the bottom and go with it that way.

Plan is to put it in between my rhubarb & asparagus beds (asparagus goes in next spring I already planted 8 rhubarb plants :drool this year) but I don't want an infestation of it.

Just trying to get a jump on spacing and get the asparagus bed measured out & prepped so I can put the crowns in when they are available.

Thank you

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It gets to be quite a large clump of leaves. I'm not sure 5 gal. would be enough to hold it? I have a section that I cut off of a 55 gal. plastic drum, about 18" deep and 2' across that I was going to put it in, but I am sure by now it is too late to dig it up. It has probably already spread out with intention to take over the world. :eek:

I had to wonder too, if it would escape through the little drilled holes...I dunno. :idunno

Above ground might be better. Ask Thistle. She did hers in a wine barrel.

Latest posts