controling weeds

Mr.potatohead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a question on controlling weeds. I was reading the magazine "Mother Earth News" and saw a article on controlling weeds. They were saying grass clippings make good mulch around the rows of vegetables to control the weeds. I was wondering if anybody uses this method and if it works. I also keep reading about using mulch around the beds also. What kind of mulch would you use? Would pine shavings or mulch be to acidic? Could I use old oak and maple leaves? Any replies are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance from Mr. Potatohead.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's funny, but I don't mulch at all and the the best way I've found to control weeds is a plain old stirrup hoe - as long its really sharp, and I do it on a regular basis, maybe every few days, I really don't have any problems.

Our raised beds are pretty high though (2 feet) so I also wonder if weed seeds just don't blow into the beds as easily.

I'm glad you posted this topic because I'd love to hear from someone who uses the"black pastic heat stertilization method". I've always wondered if that really works because it seems plausible to me in theory at least.

~Phyllis

KayRI

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have used grass clippings and mulch straw (hay that is cut before the seed heads form) in my veg garden for weed control. In my perennial flower beds I put down cardboard and use wood chip mulch (that I get for free from the tree guys). I have really mean evil weeds, like bindweed. I f I had normal weeds, I'd probably skip the cardboard step.

I think my garden and perennial bed areas are too big to have to hoe every 3-4 days, or even once a week. . .

Maybe it's time to downsize . . .

KayRI

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot, I think leaf mulch, either maple or oak would be great, and I think I read a study that says they really don't acidify the soil. Don't know about pine shavings, but I'm a believer that any mulch is better than no mulch.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use grass clippings and mulch hay on my entire garden for weed control and moisture retention. It is very effective but you have to keep up on it. A few weeds can creep through it, but just think how many one would have without it. It saves so much time! Last year, when everyone's garden withered with the heat and drought at the end of summer, mine was flourishing and green! My neighbor commented that she was unable to water, but that I must be watering. She was amazed to find that I hadn't watered my garden all season! I have some of my garden paths covered with black plastic and mulch wood chips and the others planted to grass, as I have permanent beds. My ground stays moist enough that, if a weed gets through the mulch, it pulls easily out of the ground. If your garden is good sized like mine, I highly recommend mulching!

Side note: My sister tried using black plastic mulch/weed control one year. One day she was out in the garden in the morning and noticed the plastic was moving next to her foot. Then she noticed more movement further down the row. She lifted the plastic and folded it back.....literally hundreds of snakes were soaking up the morning heat under the plastic. All different kinds! Now, this was in the mountains where the nights get very cool, so this doesn't happen just everywhere, I'm sure. Creepy thought, though, isn't it? :p

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love grass clippings for weed control! Put it one heavy and it keeps the weeds down and the moisture in! Plus it adds to the soil the next year after you work it in.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think mulch would work great! Just make sure the area is as weed free as you can get it before you put down the mulch. KayRI has that problem with the bindweed, so it might not work in a situation like that. Any little fragment of bindweed root left in the ground will eventually come up through mulch. But if you don't have anything horrible like that, just weed the area by hand or with a stirrup hoe, like me or SewingDiva, and then put down the mulch an inch or two thick. Keep it away from the stems of your plants. A few weeds will come up but they will be easy to pull out. I have bazillions of oak leaves. I usually try to shred them, but I have one bed which I never raked the oak leaves out of last fall and I left them there this spring and it is turning out to be great mulch! Very few weeds in these areas. Lazy woman's gardening technique!

Latest posts