Corlander and Citantro

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am confused ( no surprise there )was watching a video on diet drink. The woman who made video kept using corlander and citantro interchangeably. Are they the same plant ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are.

However, there are some varieties more appropriate for one use or the other.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cilantro is what the green edible leaves of the plant are usually called while Coriander is the name for the plant once it flowers and sets its seeds. Cilantro is the name given the leaves in Spanish. Coriander is the true name of the plant -- Coriandrum sativum. In addition to cilantro, the leaves are often called Chinese celery. Coriander seeds are used in many cooked dishes.

That we even have cilantro is credited to our large Hispanic population. In most parts of the world there is no cilantro, only Coriander leaves or seeds or plants.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
From Webster's dictionary.

Simple Definition of cilantro

• : leaves of the coriander plant that are used in cooking especially in Asian and Mexican food

Simple Definition of coriander
  • : a plant whose leaves and seeds are used in cooking

• : the dried seed of the coriander plant used as a flavoring

I use cilantro to mean the plant and coriander to mean the plant seed but according to Webster this may not be totally accurate. The plant is coriander but the leaves are cilantro.

chefsdreams

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
you guys are all so smart. by the time i get in here, all questions have been adequately answered. and you're closer than my library... :cool:

Latest posts