Cornbeef And cabbage Breakfast

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I learned timing is import when having friends over for dinner. Good news is I finally cooked something that came out great. Bad news I started at 8pm not realizing how long it takes. 4 friends where here for dinner many many bottles of wine was opened waiting. I have a spotty memory of eating but woke up to a kitchen and dining room bomb site and a pot of it in fridge. No fire dept this holiday :weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:ya:ya:ya:celebrate:celebrate

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the idea of corned beef and cabbage but not the actuality. The few times I have cooked it I was so sick of smelling it by the time it was done, I could barely eat it. I like a Reuben occasionally but that's about it.
We had chicken and dumplings. Yum.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We had corned beef and cabbage last night, and will again, tonight. It only takes a few hours at 350 degrees F to make this dish. Just fyi, I layer by putting the potatoes (and carrots, which I forgot this time) on the bottom along with sliced onions, then the meat, cover with seasonings from packet, and pull off cabbage leaves to cover the meat and cut the rest of the cabbage into pieces. Also, I cover it with aluminum foil. I always forget that the meat shrinks and sheds liquid. Think I added too much water, but it still tasted great!
DH can only tolerate THIS MUCH SALT in a meal once in awhile. Fortunately the CB packaging has a nutrition label.
We had pineapple upside down cake for dessert.
recipe:
melt one stick butter in 9 x 13 pan (I prefer glass)
take it out of the oven when melted and cover with brown sugar
(DON'T follow a recipe for this bc you can make it TOO sweet)
Cover with yellow cake batter (I prefer using a stick of butter instead of oil for the cake)
Bake for 35-40 minutes, test with a toothpick before removing from the oven.
Let cool and then flip
I found a slightly larger glass pan in my pantry, so I flipped it and it stayed intact AND I can cover with plastic wrap, IF, it had to be saved past one day...which hasn't happened. 3 pieces left...for tonight.

Latest posts