Coyote eradication methods sought

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, finally, after more than 6 years of raising chickens, I spotted a coyote female right in the mown back yard stalking my chickens.

If I hadn't been doing dishes I wouldn't have seen her nor heard the ruckus of frightened chicken warnings. For that I have HIM to thank. Normally we don't eat that late and the granddaughter would have been doing dishes had I not felt helpful.

Now, how do I get rid of this daytime threat to my girls?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Keep your chickens caged. Coyotes and coy-wolves have been in our country and our cities for my entire life. Everybody that I have spoken to to kill them says the bounty is too low (some places $55.00/pelt) and as soon as they see YOU, they are gone. Hunters use nightscopes to nail them.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are used to free ranging. We were planning to fence the small orchard for them to roam and use 4-foot pig fencing. Perhaps with a dog sharing the area during the day?

A few too many chickens for a small chain link fence to do the job and a big job of chain link is too costly for me.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
NOT trying to sell you anything, but the easiest and fastest is to buy a chain link fence (or other) dog enclosure, 10 x 10' or 12 x 12'. You can buy today, put up today around their coop and then order bird netting for the top.
Here used ones are on CL all the time. Over the years I picked up some nice ones cheap. Red read predator section of sister site BYC, lots of infor there

Latest posts