Crocus Flowering In NY

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crazy spring hereto. Pussy willow catkins are all fuzzy. Plenty of shrubs and trees budding. Anything that is hardy is pushing up and wanting to grow. We are expecting colder weather and possible snow this weekend. Oh well it will not stay long now. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here we have our biggest snows in February. Like Carol Dee says, they don't stay on the ground too long, but are not a welcome sight.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The snow melted and there they were snowdrops and the first crocus showing their pretty little heads:celebrate... and now today...:hit... they're covered in snow again. My winter jasmine never had a chance either, it was just coming into full bloom when the freeze hit, now it's a dismal looking mess, can hardly wait to cut it back, this is the worst it has looked in all the years I've had it:barnie. Soooooo looking forward to spring.

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight there is a winter jasmine that is coldhardy ?

Here winter jasmine (Jasmine nudiflorum) can come into full bloom anywhere between November and March depending on how cold it gets and how soon. I've had it come into full bloom in each of these months in different years. Ideally for it, not me:(, if we have a cold fall and colder winter it comes into full bloom in early march without the change of the flowers ending up frozen. If we have a warm fall and a cool winter without a freeze it can be in full bloom by Christmas. I've had this shrub for over 30 years and it's still going strong. Zones 6-10.Unfortunately this jasmine isn't scented

Last year it was in full bloom on Jan 17th.
Jan 17.JPG

In February after some freezing temperatures.
Mar 19.JPG

March 19th it got it's annual haircut.
DSCN6469.JPG

I should get out and take a picture later in the season when it's a cascading waterfall of new growth.
Although we rarely get temps as low 0ºF we have had a couple of winters we've had a few days and nights that have got this low and this shrub has made it through with no ill effects.

Annettr

Latest posts