Curled bean pods

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I raise Emerite, a vining green bean on an 8 ft trellis. There's some minor leaf damage from Japanese beetles and bean beetles. No rust present. The Emerite beans will form both nice, straight pods as well as short, curved ones--even on the same plant. Any idea what causes the curling?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just an idea . . . inadequate soil moisture right at a specific time of the pod's development.

There are some varieties that seem prone to this. My wife doesn't like them.

I've grown Emerite and thought they were very nice beans :).

Steve

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The soil moisture may be it. I'll drag the hose pipe out when it gets dry, but you know how city water with all it's :rolleyes: wonderful additives :rolleyes: isn't the same as a nice rain. We've been luckier than most this year because we've had some decent afternoon showers, but they weren't gentle soakers a garden craves. I keep saying that I will buy a drip irrigation system come next Spring and I've yet to do so. Maybe somebody will remind me next year. ;)

Yes, I think Emerite is a good pole bean too. Nice flavor, not stringy, freezes well, and it's open-pollinated. I haven't tried it, but I think Emerite will could be picked at a very young size and lightly blanched for a crudite platter.

Latest posts