Curled leaves on fig trees

Reaction score
I live in the dry tropical city of Townsville in northern Queensland, Australia. I was searching online for information about curling leaves on my Black Genoa and Brown Turkey fig trees when I came across a message and photos on this site, posted in 2017 about something similar. I can't find that message now on this site, so am hoping the writer of that message got a useful answer.
I moved from a Mediterranean type climate to the tropics two years ago and am an experienced gardener.
My two new trees were planted in 2017, grew well and produced a crop of figs that summer and autumn of 2017/18. Remember please that Australia is now in a summer season again.
This spring my trees appeared healthy and were well watered, but the leaves curled and new leaves continue to curl and the trees didn't set a crop of fruit. There doesn't appear to be any disease or insects.
Fig curl 3.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Margaret,

I'm the writer of that post. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you but I've been on vacation. I never did find a reason why my fig leaves curled. If I recall correctly it was on the leaves on one branch. My tree was a Black Mission that would produce tons of figs but they would never ripen. After 5 years I pulled it out and planted Violette de Bordeux. This new tree does not have the curling leaves that the Black Mission had.

When ever I see curled leaves I feel that it's stress or lack of proper watering but can not prove it. Interesting the branch with the curled leaves was by the fence and I usually don't water too close there for fear that the fence wood will start rotting. I tend to water around the other 3/4 's of the drip line once a week.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If there are no little insects or worms inside the curled/rolled part of the leaf, I would think stress is the culprit; either water or temperature or a combination of both.
Also, doesn't @Nyboy have fig trees? He might be some help.
Also, Welcome!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The curled leaf is a symptom that the tree's requirements for growth are not being met.Fig trees are cold sensitive and require full sun exposure as well as warmth and protection from winds.( protected from prevailing winds by buildings or tall trees ) They also require a rich soil with even moisture at all times. They could also be affected by a fungus that normally are associated with other fruit trees . Fungicide treatment would be wise to apply before winter starts. I hope that this helps.

Reaction score
Thank you. I've grown figs trees successfully in a much colder climate. Here I am now living north of the Tropic of Capricorn so we get lots of sunlight. Soil, water, warmth and shelter are not an issue. Humidity might be a problem. The trees thrived in their first year, but developed leaf curl in the second spring which has continued into the summer months. I've read that leaf curl in figs may be caused by Taphrina deformans, a fungus that curls the leaves of peach, nectarine, almond, fig and other ornamental fruit trees. Although I am familiar with leaf curl in peach trees I've never seen it, or heard of any other fig trees with this problem. I'll try spraying with a fungicide in the dormant season.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, my fig was planted on the south facing fence in a corner. It gets full sun and our temps or not cold. It is in a well sheltered area. Soil is also rich with lots of worms since I have been amending for years.

Black mission and other figs do well in alameda.

Mary