1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. What am I? - The Traveling Desk Plant Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Dad Fell Off Ladder Drove To ER

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nyboy, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Aug 25, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

9pm last night I got a TX from my sister asking if I knew our father fell off a ladder. He was on a ladder pruning a shrub fell off ladder in to shrub impaling himself on a branch. Rather then calling anyone for help he got in his car and drove to ER on other side of the city. He had to get stitches but did not ask how many. He lives in a city so heavy traffic on way to hospital. I called him last night and he was kind of out of it, hoping it the drugs given and not the fall. Not sure what I am more upset about him being on a ladder or him driving after a fall, him not calling anyone till that night. I am also a little upset with hospital staff, a man in his 90s has fallen and no one thinks to call his family. I have a real busy day, will go down to see him after work

2. Aug 25, 2017
    TheCuteOrpington

TheCuteOrpington Attractive To Bees

OUCH!!!!
    That must have hurt!
    That's so mean! When I was a kid, my brother got appendicitis, and there was one sympathetic, chubby jolly lady! I appreciate her kindness :)

Keep us posted if your dad will be ok :eek: ;)

ducks4you, PennyJo and Nyboy like this.
  3. Aug 25, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

So sorry to hear this. I'd be more upset at the hospital for not calling. Him, I can attribute to his age and stubbornness, the hospital has no excuse. Unless because there's some type of privacy regulations that prevent them from disclosing information.

Mary

4. Aug 25, 2017
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

He's a tough old guy! Maybe he didn't want you all notified?

5. Aug 25, 2017
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

He was probably afraid you'd nag him about being on the ladder and thought he could keep it from you. Some people are just really independent and don't want to give up any of that independence.

It took surgery and a long recovery to stop my father-in-law from driving, well after he should have stopped. I made my thoughts known to my wife but I figured it was up to his three kids to handle, I could not stop him myself.

6. Aug 25, 2017
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

That's really terrible, the hospital should have contacted next of kin right away or at least when he was ready to leave the hospital, he shouldn't have driven himself home. I hate to think what could have happened if he felt faint while driving home. Sometimes the shock of an injury is delayed. Thankfully he made it home safely and hope he isn't in too much pain.

Annette

Carol Dee, Nyboy and PennyJo like this.
  7. Aug 25, 2017
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

It's possible the hospital doesn't have a record of whom to call, and if he was being stubborn, may have refused to give them information. If you or your sister are not on his list of emergency contacts, the hospital is not allowed to call you.
    I feel for you. Until he gives permission, or that right is taken from him, he doesn't have to keep you informed.
    I can just see how he is thinking; his rights and independence being snatched away as he ages, and he feels perfectly capable (mostly) of taking care of things himself.

8. Aug 25, 2017
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

You are right there @so lucky, never thought of that. It's just when I hear of someone that age living on their own has hurt themselves I go in protective mode. You can't dictate their lives unless they become incapable of looking after themselves, that's the sad part of growing old, having to give up your Independence. Not only hard on you it's also hard on the families who love them.

Annette

Carol Dee, Nyboy and PennyJo like this.
  9. Aug 25, 2017
    PennyJo

PennyJo Deeply Rooted

I am sorry that happened I hope all is well as he recovers

aftermidnight likes this.
  10. Aug 25, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

I am sure he did not want to hear the nagging of being on a ladder. This is about the 4 time he fallen from a ladder. Once when he was in his 60s he needed surgery to repair damage from fall. I guess their are certain privacy laws hospital has to honor. Wish I could micro chip him like my dogs. Been calling all morning getting machine. Soon the senior center will be serving lunch I will call there to see if he there.