Dahlia On TV Show

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night before bed I was watching shameless on Netflix. The dad gets a job in the garden center of a big box store. In one scene he is talking to someone, I noticed in the background a lavender/ purple dahlia plant, I HAVE TO HAVE THIS DAHLIA. Love at first sight. Anyone know large Dahlia mail order company ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NyBoy, I started to respond with this website link well over an hour ago. Got to thinking about a purple dahlia I like and went looking for it.

Strangest thing. The guy I bought a dog from in the 60's went into the dahlia business. I had no idea! Since I only talked to him on the phone and never met him in person, I didn't know that he was also a young guy.

No longer. As best as I can tell, he only went out of business last year! Gee, I wonder how long he sold dahlias ... He had a farm in Oregon with horses but, Good Heavens, it was over 50 years ago. Just didn't expect to see his name. Maybe dogs and dahlias go together :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
He had Staffordshires, Labradors, Schipperkes and Pugs.

Quarter horses and Appaloosa

and hay :)

Oh yeah and dahlias ... name was Harms

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't want to wait till spring. @Pulsegleaner any nursery by us that have potted dahlia? I remember you had one you where hoping to over winter
Patience, patience, patience, any potted dahlia you are going to find now are just bedding dahlias, nothing special. My advice is to peruse the catalogues now and place an order in the spring for tubers of the ones that turn your crank :).
Decide the size and type of flowers you want. The bigger the flowers the less you'll get on a single plant. On these big guys sometimes to get th very best bloom for show you only let one develop.

My favorites when I was into dahlias were the small flowering (BB's), Miniatures, and Poms. The Anemone flowering (have a look at "Blue Bayou") and Incurved Cactus were my favorites.
Scout around see if there are any dahlia growers in your neck of the woods, sometimes it's better to buy as local as you can, get tubers that have been grown under your growing conditions, on the other hand I've bought from Swan Island in the past with good results.

Annette

Latest posts