Dahlias proanyone?

silkieboxerluv

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How do they grow-bought 6 different tubers-packages with not alot of info on them. Are they going to bushes strait stem flowers? How tall will they get. Any thing else that would be helpful!

chickflick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, there are different sizes....are the tubers big or small? Smaller ones won't get that big, yet. My large tubers grow 3-4 ft tall...and need support. Plant when no danger of frost....don't know where you are located. Oh, my dahlias have several branches. I would plant them in a couple of weeks.....give the ground time to warm up a bit. Water well, and put your supports in place. A tomato cage would work. Maybe yours won't get that big this year, but better be safe than sorry. You'll see how big they get and next year you'll know what to expect. But remember, they get bigger and bigger, at least mine have.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
In my zone they have to be dug up for the winter...ugh!

silkieboxerluv

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Im in Michigan. I think that they should be dug up every year:(

RustyHart

Sprout
Reaction score
I live in Michigan and keep about 100 varieties....this year plan to plant about 1,500 plants. best to all, Rusty

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Edited to say: Welcome to Easy Gardening, RustyHart :frow!

Digging the dahlia roots is easy peasy and that's from a guy who can't do much pulling and lifting :rolleyes:. But I don't know about 1,500, wow!

When I had a better back (and fewer dahlias ;)), I'd just dig the clump of roots, place them in a leaf lined cardboard box, and carry them down to a very cool part of the basement.

These days, the soil in my dahlia beds is so soft from adding peat moss that I can almost pull the roots out without the spading fork - but the fork is advised. The old roots are discarded, the fresh new roots are rinsed off with a stream of water, and they are allowed to dry for a few hours in the shade. Then it is into a plastic bag with lots of peat moss or wood shavings (something new in 2008) and carried down to the basement. The tops of the bags are left open and they sit directly on the floor.

By now, there may be a few swelling buds but I've got a good storage room for them. They will come upstairs and I will punch holes in a bed with the posthole digger. Most of the peat moss will go in the compost pile nearby but all of that will eventually come back on the dahlias or beds of other perennial flowers. I've even just scattered fertilizer on the surface of the bed and just dug holes thru it for the roots - calling that sufficient. Usually, however, I'm out there with that spading fork to loosen things up before planting.

Easy peasy and after years of doing this, there are practically no weeds in the dahlia beds. I do set up a horizontal trellis so that I can grow them close together and so they will be nice and straight. They are certainly one of my favorite flowers along with gladiolas for much the same reasons :).

Steve

RustyHart

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.....I planted over 1,200 last year. I label each plant w/marker showing name....size code...etc....I sell cut flowers at the Farmer's Markets....Plus raise my livestock and keep my job going.... Digging takes me forever....at least 4 days by hand. I keep alot of the AA sizes and a few A and B sizes....anyone want some Red Dahlias....(Kenora Christmas)...I planted over 500 of just this variety last year....? Regards, Rusty

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oooooh.... red! How would these do in the south? I would like to try my hand at some... see how I do before I invest in anymore. I can trade some of my seeds for them if you'd like.

Any suggestions on planting? Full sun/ part sun? How would they do next to a pond, or would they prefer less moisture? I love cut flowers in the garden... something just for my kitchen table... they so cheer me up! :D

RustyHart

Sprout
Reaction score
Dahlias like full sun for most of the day....afternoon shade is OK. Well drained..fertile soil is best. I plant the tubers down about 6 inches.....adda little bone meal.....I never water the plant 'til it's up about 6 inches above ground. I suggest a fertilizer with a low first number(nitrogen)...ie: 5-10-10........6-12-12....etc.... This red variety has blooms that are very formal and about 3-4inches big.....very green leaves and burgundy stems...each plant can have as many as 25-30 flowers at one time.....mine are usually picked daily..so I never really keep count. I have had some varieties with blooms over 12 inches in diameter......I'll have tubers the end of April when I sort thru them before planting in May.

Latest posts