Dandelion lavender jelly recipe

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I stumbled across a recipe for dandelion lavender jelly a few weeks ago, and I can't even tell you how amazing it is!!! I know it sounds weird, but it tastes like honey, a "complex" honey with different layers of flavors... You can find details other places on the internet, but this is what I did:

Pick about a quart of dandelion flowers, then remove the green bit at the base - I tried to remove most of the green, because apparently it can make your jelly bitter, but I didnt worry about getting each and every green leaf growing up the sides of the flower.

Then I add all my dandelions, plus a "small handful" of dried lavender flowers, to about 4 or 5 cups of water. Boil for 10 to 20 min, till you have a nice dark tea.

Strain out flower parts, then you're going to use 3 cups of your tea to make the jelly. Bring to a boil again, add 5 cups sugar and a box of pectin slowly. Bring back to a boil (if it's not already) for 1 min, add 1 tablespoon of vanilla (I love vanilla, you could add less or none if it's not your thing - also, NOT imitation vanilla) then ladle into sterile jelly jars - this made 7 jars for me.

Another note - I think if you were using fresh lavender you would want more, I'm guessing I used 12 to 15 sprigs of dried.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
7 half-pint jars?

Could other flowers be substituted . . . like bee balm instead of lavender? Actually, I'm thinking - anise hyssop.

Did you try any of the "tea" as . . . tea, Heather?

(See, you've been in possession of a recipe for a few weeks but I'm assuming that you are already an expert on this sort of thing ;).)

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah...7 half pint jars. "they say" (they being the Internet, surely an expert, haha!) that any edible flower will work, so sure, anise hyssop sounds great! I used to have a plant of that, but it must not have made it through the winter one year. The tea tastes like flowers, unsweetened flowers! I didn't drink a whole cup or anything, it's not that good until you add the sugar! I like anise flavor, I think that would be a good substitution!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I make a slew of flower jellies... absolutely the best! Any flower or herb will work.

I make honeysuckle, lavender, clover, dandelion, rose petal... and I'm drying rose hips to make rose hip jelly too!!!

There is a great canning thread on BYC I use and the recipes are listed there.

You can look through my online preserve shop and see the many flavors we come up with here.

http://BiscottiQueen.Etsy.com

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohhh, fun ideas on there vfem! Had a thought... How would rosemary jelly taste?

Vfem, I had trouble getting jalapeo jelly to set when I made it... Twice! Have you had that problem with pepper jelly?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My pepper jellies seem to set soft, though they set, but I like that since they go so nicely when folded into cream cheese!!! :lol:

The rosemary is awesome! Great on pork, and I use it with other meats in the slow cooker sometimes. The apple rosemary is AMAZING too!!! You can do with the rosemary jelly what I just suggested with the pepper jelly. Fold it into some cream cheese or sour cream and use it as a dip. YUM!

Latest posts