Darn You, Cold Weather!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's supposed to get down to 9 degrees here tonight. That's too cold for my greens even with two layers of cover on them. Bummer. That was kind of a lot of work getting that low tunnel in place. I truly expected it to be able to protect hardy greens. At least till winter starts! :rant

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry about the cold. Sounds like we're both getting the same temps for tonight. Any chance you could heat up some rocks and stick them into the tunnel?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was supposed to be 9° here, this morning. Instead, the low was 13°.

With one layer of plastic film on the south side of the greenhouse and one layer of film on the hoops above the veggies ... so far, so good.

Last winter, there were several nights below zero.

You might be surprised ... and tomorrow, I will post a picture of some volunteers out there under the plastic. I bet they will surprise you, for sure!

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree - darn you cold weather!

-12*F (with windchill) here, just getting ready to go out and take care of the livestock.

If I had a coat completely made out of greasy whale blubber right now, I would wear it!

Any chance that you got some good snow cover around your tunnel last night or something like that? Like Steve said, you might be surprised (I hope you are). :)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have had not the same degree of cold as you all out west will be 19* w/ wind chill 13* tonight, this will be a test for everyone under the tunnels.
it was 31 when returning home grabbed a beer and took the girls for their walk needless to say it was a quick walk that wind cut right though me finished the beer after a long hot shower...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it only got down to about 18 degrees here last night, so maybe a few things had a fighting chance. There was some snow cover on the sides of the tunnel, but not on top. This weekend it is supposed to be up in the 60's so I will have to make sure the plastic doesn't let the tunnel heat up too much. At 60 degrees, it will feel like sun-bathing weather!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are predicted to get all the way up into the 40s -- 48 on Sunday. Of course, this comes with rain and more rain, but after getting out and wearing my down coat, going back to a light jacket will be a real pleasure.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
it did make to 19 last night after getting home lifted the lettuce tunnel, they took it quite well.....
even the weeds were happy...
DSC_0004.JPG

if the weather prediction holds looks like from sat thur tue will be able to uncover them at night

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I still haven't checked on mine! Been busy, and it will take a while to get through the protective wrappings, lol. Yours looks great, major!

Latest posts