Daughter invited me to come for a ride.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Well, It was about 5:30pm, that's dark as ink here, on the high desert. Yerani asked me "like to ride to the mail box, that's about a 1/4 mile is all. I ses, "Maybe" so she says "come on!" She tells me: You ride Remey, he's better trained.

So we ride to the corner and turn on the next street, the boxes are half way down the road. Then it happens, it so dark, I can's see a thing, I hear growling and a dog fight, Hoviv our McNabb had come with us. Remington starts bucking and arching, I stayed in on him for a good 5 seconds, that doesn't sound long, but!
What happened was, this dog came in to us and bit Remey, Hoviv went into the dog driving it across the road and the fight was on. I didn't see a thing, Remey and me are off into the desert bush and daughter and Hoviv were dealing with the dog, later she said it might be Carol's new dog, she got a couple German Shepherds. Daughter explains to me: He, Remey, got two sides of his brain, this side he think; he's on my back, that's OK, the other side is Fight or Flight, when the dog bit him, he thought: I got to get this predator of me.

She just asked me: Are you OK, did you get hurt?~ I'm good!~Did you have fun? I did, I'm right now describing it.

Well, that's the way it went, would have been a great story if I could of stayed on for the full 8 seconds.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you are here and able to report on it. Makes me sore just thinking about it.

I am not a big fan of loose German Shepherds. They are very territorial, even on other folks territory. :\

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was riding Yerani's Bull , she's taught him to Canter. We sold our horses, she rode the stallion,when younger, miniature horses, because of the constant need to do their hooves, and have resisted getting her a horse or horses because of worry of her being hurt. Well,she's raised this bull and she rides him and her sister rides a cow, sound crazy, but.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quote: Maybe it time to get her a horse.

You're right. She's been working, mucking, grooming, feeding~for these people, for years, who raise miniature horses, peacocks, and emus. They commissioned her to train one of their horses to cart. I watched her work the animal, get him not to be but shy, not afraid of plastic bags, ropes all such things. She made a harness that fist her. She got her to accept a bit, she rigged her and drove her, walking behind, she would tell me why she did each thing. She tied a rope to a big tire and pulled it with a longer line to the horse, so the tire was in front of the horse. She explained that the horse seeing something moving away from her that she's afraid of would give her confidence, then she drove the horse with reins pulling the tire.

She let me know when she was read to hook up to the cart, took so much time with the horse. you should have been there. We've been riding old wagon roads through the high desert as she trained her to walk, trot when called for, today she allowed her to get some speed.

She's ready, I'll talk to mama tonight. I asked her what she thinks of Mustangs, she said when she grows up and gets her first horse it will be a mustang. The BLM has a place at Palomino Valley where they keep mustangs from round ups. It's time, she can pick one out.
I'm impressed and proud or her, I know she's ready.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your daughter sounds like a very gifted and intelligent young lady with an intuitive talent for training animals.
I would be very much interested in hearing how her horse journey progresses. :)

Latest posts