Daylilie Emergency!

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My pup accosted my two brand new (beautiful) daylilies. All I have left is the roots/tubers and some green at the crown. They have damage both above and below ground level. How is the best way to give them a chance to live?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have found it difficult to kill day lilies, Wisher1000.

When we moved to this home, we brought some very special day lilies. (We thought so, anyway ;).) They were planted beside others that were already here. When those bloomed we learned that they were old fashioned orange. Competition set in.

DW favored the ones we brought and has asked me in two different years to take the others out. I have not been successful, yet. They dodge and hide amongst the "nice" ones and are soon, growing as robustly as before.

Wisher1000, we haven't heard from you for a long time. I hope that you continue to visit and share what you are up to.

Steve

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have found it difficult to kill day lilies, Wisher1000.

When we moved to this home, we brought some very special day lilies. (We thought so, anyway ;).) They were planted beside others that were already here. When those bloomed we learned that they were old fashioned orange. Competition set in.

DW favored the ones we brought and has asked me in two different years to take the others out. I have not been successful, yet. They dodge and hide amongst the "nice" ones and are soon, growing as robustly as before.

Wisher1000, we haven't heard from you for a long time. I hope that you continue to visit and share what you are up to.

Steve
Thanks, Steve! As soon as I saw your reply, I thought, "Hey! I remember him!" Yes, it has been a long time since I was here or at BYC. I didn't have FB back then and when I started using it, I spent most of my screen time there. Now, I have gotten disenchanted with FB and am looking at other sources of online diversions. I appreciate the warm reception and the help.

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’d make sure they are tamped back down in the dirt where the dog can’t get them and give them some water. Maybe some shade if it’s very hot. Most varieties are pretty tough though so unless the tubers were badly damaged they should live.
I put then in the ground and watered them in well. I hope they will come back out. The pup was only interested in them because they were still in pots and sitting in a place that she thought they shouldn't have been. I now think she was right. I shouldn't have left them there... ;)