Daylily disease - Need ID

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This year seems to be a good one for daylilies, and my daylilies do well most years. I have a wide variety of types of daylilies, from the feral ditch dwellers to various cultivated varieties, and they are all healthy..... with one exception. The Canadian Border Patrol daylilies that I planted two years ago have succumbed to some sort of disease.

These daylilies did not bloom last summer. That was no big deal, because many new plants take a year to get established. This summer the CBP daylilies seemed to be doing well and they had buds that were close to opening. A few days later I went to check on them, and the buds, and stalks supporting them, have dried up and withered. I've never seen anything like this, and all my other daylilies are unscathed. I will get some pictures later today, but can anyone shed some light on this? It doesn't fit any of the descriptions I've found of daylily diseases.

TIA

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year seems to be a good one for daylilies, and my daylilies do well most years. I have a wide variety of types of daylilies, from the feral ditch dwellers to various cultivated varieties, and they are all healthy..... with one exception. The Canadian Border Patrol daylilies that I planted two years ago have succumbed to some sort of disease.

These daylilies did not bloom last summer. That was no big deal, because many new plants take a year to get established. This summer the CBP daylilies seemed to be doing well and they had buds that were close to opening. A few days later I went to check on them, and the buds, and stalks supporting them, have dried up and withered. I've never seen anything like this, and all my other daylilies are unscathed. I will get some pictures later today, but can anyone shed some light on this? It doesn't fit any of the descriptions I've found of daylily diseases.

TIA
Any chaNCE THEY MISSEd BEING WATERED? Lime is a cure for most of what ails daylily foliage. I found in this hot summer my daylilies with fine foliage seemed to be drying up and looking terrible. Cure? water perked them right up I don't know that cultivar you are referring to . Pictures?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@catjac1975 this sound like one for you to answer.
One possibility is you have that $%#&%# Hemerocallis Gall Midge, if it is there's a beneficial nematode Steinernema Feltiae that can be used to help get rid of this pest. Spray on the foliage, letting it soak into the surrounding soil. I did this for a couple of years and
found it worked for me.
This nematode is usually used on indoor plants but was the one recommended to use for this particular insect.
Google Daylily Gall Midge damage and compare to what you have.
Annette

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Any chaNCE THEY MISSEd BEING WATERED? Lime is a cure for most of what ails daylily foliage. I found in this hot summer my daylilies with fine foliage seemed to be drying up and looking terrible. Cure? water perked them right up I don't know that cultivar you are referring to . Pictures?

I watered these plants last year when they were newly planted, but normally I don't water daylilies unless we have a serious drought. Still perhaps this type of daylily needs more water than the others. It does look dehydrated, or at least the flower stems do. Thank you for the reply.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@catjac1975 this sound like one for you to answer.
One possibility is you have that $%#&%# Hemerocallis Gall Midge, if it is there's a beneficial nematode Steinernema Feltiae that can be used to help get rid of this pest. Spray on the foliage, letting it soak into the surrounding soil. I did this for a couple of years and
found it worked for me.
This nematode is usually used on indoor plants but was the one recommended to use for this particular insect.
Google Daylily Gall Midge damage and compare to what you have.
Annette

Thank you very much Annette for the identification and the suggested cure. I'm going to look into getting this nematode and try it out, especially in light of the fact that it could probably spread to my other daylilies if I don't take action. This evil pest/disease sounds and looks exactly like what has killed the would-be blooms on my daylilies. $%#&%# is right! Thank you again for the help.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
also considering digging a bit to check the condition of the roots and such as perhaps there may be a reason from underneath that the plant isn't performing as you expect.

Latest posts