dead man's fingers

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this. Fungus? pests I guess.
I thought I could just ride them out. I can't. It smells like something crawled under the shed and died. Just as one stops smelling another crops up. Any ideas as to how to get rid of these things? Unfortunately some of them are under a shed and inaccessible.
I thought about shoveling them up, but where ever I bury them, I will just get more. They are cropping up near pine stump roots. I guess removing the stump is the smartest, but it is also the most awkward thing to do. (wedged between two buildings an cement patio.)
Any suggestions?
thanks.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can not recall if these are the mushrooms I am thinking of? Do they go by another name?

P.s. - :welcome

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome, greengenes!
I'd bag 'em up and throw them away with the garbage! I do that as often as I can with burrs--let the landfills fill up with these things. Then, after it's cleaned up, I'd use a fan or heat lamp and REALLY dry it out. Fungi don't like it dry.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks! The Land fill is our closest neighbor! :lol:
Maybe that's where they came from. I do not know another name for them..'stinky, nasty, rotten fungus' maybe?
They are making me gag. ...and of course some dog must roll in them.
Thanks for the welcomes!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Probably some type of stinkhorn, based on their lovely aroma :lol:
They grow from rotting wood or decaying matter under ground when conditions are right.
I've never smelled one, but sounds really gross! What color are they?
Don't know what else you can do except bag them, get rid of the rotting material or dry things up ... :hu

Stinkhorns ... there is also a black type that grows from decaying tree roots ... Mushroom expert

Good luck! ... and Welcome to TEG!!! :)

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are orange, they look like if you put your fingers together (imagine you have very long fingers) at the tips and then spread the knuckles apart . Thus the dead man's fingers common name-reaching up from the grave with rotten flesh. Just gross all the way around. They are growing where a pine stump is near by...big big stump. No getting rid of it easily.
Burning is a down right scary thought, what if it smells worse?!? I will try digging and bagging.
thanks all!

Latest posts