Death Of My Uncle's Tree

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Uncle Doc lived 3 houses away from my family's house. He love to garden, as a small kid I would often help him. Like all city houses the yard was very small. About 45 years ago I helped him plant a weeping red Japanese maple in middle of front yard. Back then Japanese maples where very expensive. My Uncle was not a rich man and must have saved to buy this tree. The tree did well growing slowly, over the years it filled the whole front yard. My Aunt and Uncle passed away their kids sold the house. The house over the years was sold several times. The maple was always there looking good. Last night I drove by my uncles old house and maple was gone. It was such a beautiful tree I could not believe new owner got rid of it. Do you ever wonder what will be come of your garden after your gone ?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know in our family, we usually make a point to rescue and rehome special plants, or at least get a cutting started for family members. I've got several generations of special plants myself. A tree that size would be impossible though. Unless it was something someone could graft...

One thing that I wish I had, but no one thought to get was a yellow iris named after my great-great-grandmother on my mom's side. A man at church was a hybridizer and named them for the ladies he went to church with. When my great-grandmother died, no one thought to dig up the yellow "Anna" iris she had. I didn't have the sense to at age 15.

I do wonder what will become of my bean collection though. My kids have been pretty involved in growing and tending them so far, but I know that love may wane as they grow up and develop their own interests and priorities in life. Our library just started a seed library this year, so I will disseminate many of them through that and I am always happy to pass them along wherever else they are wanted. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm like Red. My garden is for my enjoyment. I would never expect a family member to try to maintain it when I'm not able. I'm happy to let whoever takes over the property to develop their own style, or tear it all out and pave it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was 2, my family moved to Longview, Tx from San Benito, Tx. My parents bought a brand new brick house in a new neighborhood. I remember helping my Daddy plant trees. 60 years later, I live about an hour away, so we went down my old street. It looked like none of the trees we planted were still there, there were a couple of older trees, but the sycamore, mimosa, catalpa and red bud trees were gone.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My parents also planted lots of trees at every house they moved into.
I do think it's sad when a healthy tree is removed by a new owner, but just because it takes so long for them to reach their mature potential.

I used to have a lot of small gardening jobs in a historic district. The neighborhood was beautiful with the huge old trees making a canopy over the street. There is one venerable 100 year old tree that had been planted as a sapling by a well known resident when the house was new. (Well known by everyone but me apparently, as I can't recall her name or why she was so well known...:rolleyes:)
Anyway, I would make that tree the exception to my standard. It is an enormous horse chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum ) planted in a tiny yard. Every fall cleanup in that yard was a nightmare, with the leaf debris and the horse chestnuts burying every bed and the lawn. Kid#2 and I once hauled off 600 pounds of debris from that yard in one days cleanup.
Makes me tired just thinking about it. If that was my tree it would be lumber.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
And then there are people who build their house around a tree.
upload_2017-8-23_10-56-28.png