Deer are eating my tomato plants.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does anyone have a sure fire way to keep the deer out of my tomatoes? Other than a fence or dog. The little devils are eating the tops plum off and now are eating the blooms and small tomatoes.
Help.
thanks

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sprinkling blood meal around the base of the plants usually keeps them away. They hate the smell and you usually only need to apply it once.

Also, sprinkling baby powder over the plants keeps them from munching.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will try this tomarrow. I have used hair, horse manure, Deer Off. And so far it hasn't worked.
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have used blood meal, and it slows them.

I had to finally raise my fence, though, they were persistent.

SJ1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Some people hang up Irish Spring soap in the trees, or put it in little metal cages. It keeps deer away.

There are more surefire methods, but it depends on the laws where you live.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I keep a couple in the freezer for that very reason!!

:lol:

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That is the best and tastiest deterrent.

Why not see if a neighbor or friend will let you tie their dog near your garden for a few days? Male dogs are best. Even after you pooperscoop the deer will smell the presence of the dog a little while after he is gone.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just to add on with what 1acrefarm said. There is also commercially available coyote urine (and I think wolf too) that is really effective in warding off deer and other critters.

You might want to look into that too.

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The deer around our place are getting quite bold. My garden is only about 12 feet from the house. They haven't gotten to it yet, but last night I saw them about 20 feet from my plants! I turned one of my dogs after them. The dog doesn't have that high of a prey drive to really do anything (and stops when called off; I would never let one of my dogs actually attack one) but definitely enjoyed the chase for about 50 yards! :lol: After that I took all of the dogs to pee around the garden. It's my plan to keep an eye out for them and use the dogs as a deterent--for now. We'll see how long it works!

SJ1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Coopy, will you post what you try and how it works?