Dehydrating Herbs

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All hanging up by the dehumidifier. It's not completely paper it has this perforated clear stuff on the one side, maybe plastic but supposeto be biodegradable. So I've kept the parsley away from that part .

This thread could come in handy for someone else on day

View attachment 44786
Paper will pass water vapor but plastic will not. Use only paper or something that can breathe.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey! I used the pineapple sage from that June on some roasted turnips today for dinner!
PXL_20220227_001109956.jpg

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
and it was good i hope! :)
Mmmm good! Everything bagel panko porkchops with sage butter roast turnips, mozzarella chive and parmesan scalloped russets and steamed green beans. My "Soul Food Saturday" effort to keep DW's feet elevated after a long week!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a little dehydrated oregano left and I did not pulverize it. I crush with my hands and I use it that way in soups. I have oregano outside that I am going to make sure the weeds stay out of and transplant some of it to a better place and dehydrate this year. I am not sure if I have any thyme left, but I started thyme and parsley. I have dehydrated kale that I put in soup and I crush it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
As you'all know my dehydrator is a cheapo and it takes forever usually to dry things out.
Not so with herbs!
I have dehydrated my Genovese Basil, Greek Sage and right now I am dehydrating Cinnamon Basil. I am using all of the 7 trays that I still have.
Somebody gave me a 2nd cheapo dehydrator maybe 10 years ago, but it kicked the bucket. I still have one tray and it's cover left.
FYI, interesting article of types of basil.

Attachments

• Basil dehydrated & saved, 09-21-22.jpg
    Basil dehydrated & saved, 09-21-22.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Sage dehydrating, 09-21-22.jpg
    Sage dehydrating, 09-21-22.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Sage, dehydrated, 09-22-22.jpg
    Sage, dehydrated, 09-22-22.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 93

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Older thread, but worth revisiting.
DH got his Excalibur 5 tray dehydrator for Christmas, 2023. He just finished a batch of beef jerky--great success!
I had 2 cheapo dehydrators several years ago. The one that was old but gifted to me died 2 years ago.
I kept ALL of the trays from both, bc the fit the diameter.
Don't remember if I put the slightly newer one away and thought it was working well, OR, if I put it away and was sure it was dying.
Guess we'll find out!
The other topic, pulverizing dehydrated herbs.
My old coffee grinder, which would too easily fall apart for daily grinding for brewing, does an Excellent job turning dehydrated peppers into powder.
The dehydrated sweet peppers had a one year shelf life, then, starting tasting funky.
HOWEVER, I am still pulverizing the jalepano peppers that I have stored dehydrated.
I also took fresh sage leaves and created "rubbed sage," just like McCormick sells, so success.
I bought Hungarian Paprika Peppers this last week for the sore purpose of growing, harvesting of dehydrating and storing, then creating powder as I need it.
I am pretty sure that waiting on a meal by meal basis to create a powdered herb gives you better flavor.
Just My 2 cents...

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Older thread, but worth revisiting.
DH got his Excalibur 5 tray dehydrator for Christmas, 2023. He just finished a batch of beef jerky--great success!
I had 2 cheapo dehydrators several years ago. The one that was old but gifted to me died 2 years ago.
I kept ALL of the trays from both, bc the fit the diameter.
Don't remember if I put the slightly newer one away and thought it was working well, OR, if I put it away and was sure it was dying.
Guess we'll find out!
The other topic, pulverizing dehydrated herbs.
My old coffee grinder, which would too easily fall apart for daily grinding for brewing, does an Excellent job turning dehydrated peppers into powder.
The dehydrated sweet peppers had a one year shelf life, then, starting tasting funky.
HOWEVER, I am still pulverizing the jalepano peppers that I have stored dehydrated.
I also took fresh sage leaves and created "rubbed sage," just like McCormick sells, so success.
I bought Hungarian Paprika Peppers this last week for the sore purpose of growing, harvesting of dehydrating and storing, then creating powder as I need it.
I am pretty sure that waiting on a meal by meal basis to create a powdered herb gives you better flavor.
Just My 2 cents...
Please try something like a dunk in citric acid water before you dehydrate and let me know here 2 years from now how those dried herbs and peppers aged. I had pinapple sage(?) for too long and it went bland. It was a lot of energy $ and work to make it. I suspect a vacuum seal would help if you have quantity.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
or perhaps seal it in smaller portions in smaller subpackets so it can be individually opened and used up before moving on to the next subpacket.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am still trying to figure out how to keep herbs going in the winter. I have to deal with my cats, who dug out the family aloe bc I left it in it's pot on the kitchen table. :eek:
Found it under the table on the floor and repotted in a tiny candle glass container and it is happy next to the kitchen south facing window.
DD is demanding and still buying herb pieces at the store. :smack
Other DD took a piece of same aloe and has a much bigger one growing at her house. She doesn't have cats.
ShXt, Bedcat just knocked down a heavy glass paperweight right behind me a few minutes ago...just bc!

Latest posts