Dehydrating Peppers

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The garden took a good hit from hail a week ago and many of the chili peppers were damaged. I am still planning on getting a food dehydrator but read that chilies should be left whole and on most units available that means you could only use the top tray.

I was going to dry the peppers and then grind them up, do any of you out there know if they could be cut into smaller pieces and then dried or is it really best to keep them whole?

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I just found some information on this, and my new dehydrator is on it's way.

Peppers can but cut up and dried and from the video I saw that's exactly what i was looking to do. :weee

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
RidgebackRanch said:
I just found some information on this, and my new dehydrator is on it's way.

Peppers can but cut up and dried and from the video I saw that's exactly what i was looking to do. :weee
& that is?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some peppers -- like onions -- can have a pretty strong smell. You might want to dehydrate them away from the house proper. I do onions in the garden shed. Peppers? I like the smell of the sweet ones I dry so they stay inside.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always cut mine up. I second what Smart Red said about banishing them to the garage or a spare room with the windows open.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
6180_dry_pepper.jpg

This is how I dried Habeneros and Anaheims a few years back. I tied them together with string and hung them in the garage. Anywhere out of the rain should do.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The goal here is to make seasoning blends with the chilies. We grew some Pasilla Bajio peppers along with the usual Jalapenos, Habaneros, and Anaheims. Since the will be no salsa being made this year I just wanted to get some good use from what made it through the hail storm. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ive never used a dehydrator to dry them, just hung them up and let them dry like that photo above. I did make a powder out of some of the habaneros by throwing some dried whole peppers in a blender. With hot peppers watch out for that dust when you grind them.

If you are using a dehydrator Id suggest cutting them open. That should speed the drying process a lot. Thats a general recommendation for dehydrating about anything. If you cut or crack it open it dries faster.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister Laurie used to make nice wreaths with Peppers and Garlics to both dry them and to make her whole house smell, well, unique. Most folks liked the smell, I really loved that aroma! Add things like drying coriander, rosemary, luffa sponges, and all the cooking there and it smells delicious!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I dried my 2012 peppers last year, jalepano and ancho problano. I think I also had a few cayenne, which I dried whole. The other ones were de-seeded. I dried them until they could be broken and stored them in a clean, tin coffee can with a plastic lid. I still have some left. I didn't want to dry them to just leather bc we get a LOT of humidity and I was afraid that they might mold.
I have a dehydrator and someone gave me theirs, minus a few trays.

Latest posts