dehydrating veggies for winter chicken treats

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was thinking about dehydrating some of my less than perfect veggies to give to the chickens during the winter. I was planning on reconstituting them with boiling water, letting cool a bit and giving it to the girls to get some veggies in them.

Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have room in your freezer, you could just freeze and thaw. I am afraid I am too lazy to dehydrate for my chickens- but hey, if you want to- I am sure they will appreciate it!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. I'd dry, powder, mix all kinds and put in a separate jar. Then when I'm ready to use, make my "chicken pancakes" ... varieties of flour, flax seed, eggs, millet, a little baking powder for lift, and powdered dried veggies. Garlic too, sometimes. They love my pancakes, especially when they get a LITTLE bit burnt ... they like them well cooked, not mushy.

They got a lot of pancakes last year but never occurred to me to add veggies to them. I certainly will this coming winter. Thanks for the idea.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to me. You could mix it into a bowl of oatmeal for a nice, warm meal. :)

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love it-chicken pancakes and oatmeal. What great ideas. I can't wait to try them on the first cold day.

BTW- is that ever going to happen? We are about to break a record for the most consecutive days over 90! :lol:

Stay cool, my friends.

Latest posts