Dining room dilemmas

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Next week the contractor is going to be installing a tube skylight in my dining room. And after that an electrician will hang my new dining room chandelier.

The room is a rectangle, but foot traffic moves in an L around two sides to go from the foyer into the kitchen and the foyer into the hall. This means the dining room table cannot be centered in the room, nor can it be centered on the large window on the long side.

The previous flushmount light was centered in the room, but I am thinking the new pendant one, which makes a bigger statement, should be centered above the table. What do you think?

I'm also wondering how close the tube skylight should be to the chandelier, and if it should be centered in the room, or in line with the chandelier.

I wonder if I am being too OCD about this.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, we use the table for many other things, that's why I'm thinking centered over the table. Plus, that's what I notice in designer photos.

I should mention there's a sideboard that centered on a short wall. So it does not line up with the table. I was thinking about centering the sky light so the daylight falls evenly on the sideboard. But then the chandelier and skylight will not line up. But I suppose not that many people look up. I've also considered getting rid of the sideboard to make the room more spacious. But that would also change where the chandelier is hung.

Mostly, it holds vases and collects junk but as I rip out kitchen cabinets to make that room more spacious it might become useful for it's original purpose. I do like how the things I put on top of it serve as a focal point in the room though. Without it I would need a larger piece of art (not a problem, since I am an artist).

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think your light should be centered over your table.
I would keep the sideboard ( I have two so I'm probably just biased )
and center your skylight so the daylight falls evenly on it. Especially since it is a display area.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You do not have to be OCD for things to bug you visually. I would put the light over the table. Hang an object where you think it should go, or have someone hold it in place and step back and look at it. It does not have to be a heavy fixture, just an object that will show you how the light will occupy the space and look it it's place.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a good point, Red. We are tall people, and it's sort of a low ceiling for this size chandelier, I could see us doing that.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think your light should be centered over your table.
I would keep the sideboard ( I have two so I'm probably just biased )
and center your skylight so the daylight falls evenly on it. Especially since it is a display area.
Ditto Thistlebloom's thoughts.

Latest posts