Disappointment at the Grocery Store

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Shocker, right?

It's been a long, long time since I really looked through the produce department at the grocery store. I grow my own and buy from other farmers when I can. The grocery store is only used to fill in the gaps when necessary.

Tonight we walked in the front door to find the most beautiful peaches and nectarines I've ever seen. They were huge and perfect. DH said "Let's get some peaches", so I grabbed a produce bag. We started picking through them and almost immediately noticed something disturbing. They smelled like nothing. Not peach or anything else. Just nothing.

GMO. As I dropped the bag and looked around the store, all I saw was GMO, GMO, ,GMO. Apples, tomatoes, oranges, EVERYTHING. Large, perfect shape, beautiful color, no smell - and probably no taste. The only item that looked even a little bit 'right' was the bin of tomatoes that were red with green tops - like tomatoes are supposed to look. And then I noticed the sign on the bin stating "green tomatoes."

I've seen it all before, but it never clicked like it did tonight. At first I was disappointed, but now I'm feeling angry. I don't understand how anybody could think this is ok. I know, I'm preaching to the choir here, but I had to get it off my chest. Maybe it was you folks who got me fired up in the first place. I've been reading the post about GMO legislation, and I'm dumbfounded by how things can make it to that point.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing makes me happier than walking right by, that department! Are customers really so stupid as to only care about the way a fruit/veggie looks- and care nothing for how it tastes? I planted two peach trees this year. I have never had a peach from the store, that was worth eating! Happy Gardening!

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm really glad to be here and hear your perspective. I'm just now figuring things out. A few months ago, I didn't know what GMO stood for. I still don't know what vegetables are "supposed" to look like or taste like. I've heard older people comment that the veggies don't taste like they used to, but I guess they've been tasteless since I can remember tasting them. I can't wait til I get this garden going and get some REAL veggies out of it. It's going to be a totally new experience for me.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't want to be a naysayer here, but just because the produce looked too perfect doesn't necessarily mean it was GMO. Vegetables are hybridized and specially bred for looks and shipability and ease of harvest. Hybridization doesn't equal GMO. I was in a produce market known for its fresh peaches today, and saw that they looked pale, with little aroma. The clerk said due to the high temps this year, the peaches had to be picked extra early so it wouldn't break down in shipping. So I guess they're not going to taste as good as tree-ripened. So, I'm just sayin' ---tasteless and fake looking doesn't mean GMO.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
True enough, but it still means tasteless and fake looking. Grow your own!

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
strantor said:
I'm really glad to be here and hear your perspective. I'm just now figuring things out. A few months ago, I didn't know what GMO stood for. I still don't know what vegetables are "supposed" to look like or taste like. I've heard older people comment that the veggies don't taste like they used to, but I guess they've been tasteless since I can remember tasting them. I can't wait til I get this garden going and get some REAL veggies out of it. It's going to be a totally new experience for me.
We're glad you're here too. Welcome!

DH is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. He's never been very fond of fruits and especially veggies - despite his mother introducing him to all kinds of things. One rule we have on our farm is "If we grow it, we try it." We've experimented with growing lots of things which has resulted in us discovering that we actually LIKE some things that we previously thought we didn't. For example, DH loves fresh spinach! He would never touch the stuff from the store.

You're going to love what comes from your garden! :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
up here we've had some really early peaches that had been southern grown and smelled nicely the day i brought them home. the only problem was at the store they seemed really hard so i would let them soften on the counter. if i put them in the fridge they wouldn't get soft but they didn't last long before they started getting mushy on the counter :( so my chickens have been getting most of them. i was hoping my 2 peach trees would be good this year and produce but one dropped all the little fruit it had and the other right now only has a dozen or so small fruit that are going later and later on the tree so i don't think they will ever fully ripen for me this year.

if someone could find a full list of plants/fruits/veggies that have been turned by GMO i would love to see it! so far i only know of plants (veggies) that are short lived that are GMO 'owned' so the companies can make their money by forcing you and farmers to buy new seed each year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I don't want to be a naysayer here, but just because the produce looked too perfect doesn't necessarily mean it was GMO. Vegetables are hybridized and specially bred for looks and shipability and ease of harvest. Hybridization doesn't equal GMO. I was in a produce market known for its fresh peaches today, and saw that they looked pale, with little aroma. The clerk said due to the high temps this year, the peaches had to be picked extra early so it wouldn't break down in shipping. So I guess they're not going to taste as good as tree-ripened. So, I'm just sayin' ---tasteless and fake looking doesn't mean GMO.
thank you. Even on this website, people are so seperated from their food supply, they don't know what they are buying and why. You really have 2 choices, buy it or don't buy it. The markets require undamaged produce so the producer has no choice but to choose varieties that ship well and pick them a little green. Get over it or quit buying produce that is out of season or not grown in your area. End of rant.......

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
if someone could find a full list of plants/fruits/veggies that have been turned by GMO i would love to see it! so far i only know of plants (veggies) that are short lived that are GMO 'owned' so the companies can make their money by forcing you and farmers to buy new seed each year.
If it's organic it's not a GMO. Basically all processed food is either made with GM corn or GM soy. Most cotton is GM, most sugar from sugar beets is GM, most canola oil is GM. There aren't very many GM fruits and veggies in the produce department...yet.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
GMO is still pretty limited. So peaches and most fruits are not. They're most likely hybrid or so sprayed with chemicals all they can do it grow undisturbed. But its probably the amount of chemical fertilizers they use, or the green houses they use for so many things to PRODUCE PRODUCE PRODUCE the takes away the taste.

Most GMO is feed corn, soy, canola, ect.

Yes, there is a genetically altered apple that's been produced, but its not main stream. Its been 'perfected' to not brown after the skin has been broken. The flesh doesn't turn as to keep people interested. I won't be buying that junk!

But still all that crap in the produce aisles are mainly crap... if I have to pick up anything there ever, my local store does have an organic section and a locally grown section. I do enjoy that 1 case is all NC grown, and they ONLY sell potatoes grown locally. Of course, this is only 1 grocery store its not the norm.

I am very glad that my husband is enjoying our fresh produce, because when he tastes something from the store, even he says its just not the same and its really disappointing. Then I tell him to grab the tiller and get to work!!! Hahahaha