Discoveries

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These little heads of cabbage are Tiara.

0D396828-FA22-4D3D-99B1-32E02E1C6EE9.jpeg

The original cabbage head was cut during early summer. What are in the picture were brought home yesterday, October 5th.

The original was about the same size, a little larger. Tiara are listed as a 1 - 2 pound variety. Usually, the early cabbage varieties that are in our the garden can have a couple of plants with little "clusters" of tender leaves, late. Worth harvesting but they don't amount to much and not every cabbage plant can come back with anything. These little guys - produce early, produce late.

Perhaps the Zebrune Shallots that I talked about in the harvest forum “what are you eating,” also count as a discovery. What I am hoping for that open-pollinated variety is that sets that can be planted in 2022 to produce seed.

I’ve grown hybrid shallots from seed for several years. So that isn’t new and, I’m likely to do that again :). However, the “banana” shallots seem to only be newly available for North American gardeners. (Territorial Seed carries another variety of those French heirloom shallots.) It’s fun to have options.

Steve