Display zones?

greenmulberry

Sprout
Reaction score
Lovely lovely site. I luuurrrve gardening and since I recently purchased a house on a one acre lot, I need all the help and community I can get!

I do have one request/suggestion. Most gardening forums I am on display the agricultural zone of the poster, prompting them to supply it when registering? Is there any way we can add this to The Easy Garden? Growing tomatos/roses/lawn ect. in zone 9 is very different experience from growing them in zone 4, and it is so helpful to know where someone is when they are having problems. Many times noobs don't realize how important this info is so they don't volunteer it in the post. :)

Again, lovely site, glad to be here.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
EXCELLENT IDEA!!!

Everyone please add your zone to your signature and maybe even in your profile under "Personal" where it asks for location. You can put your zone and then city or whatever!!!

BTW, anybody have a really good link that makes it super easy / clear to determine your zone? All the map ones I've seen are too small and not detailed enough to give accurate information. If you know a good tool, please post a link here!

Crazy4Chicks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i went to that website nifty it was great I found tons of plants/flowers that grow in my area that is going to make planning my flower beds so much easier - no more guessing about what will grow and what wont.
thank you for finding it

Julie

BeckyFl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the great site Nifty! I think it should be a permanent part of this site, maybe even part of the profile pages to help folks find their zone so they can include it in their profile.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Having an easy way for people to automatically display their zone would be a good idea.

However remember not everyone lives in the USA ;)

So if displaying zone is done as a separate automated line, I'd like to suggest that room be left for extra explanation, such as "Canadian zone 5b (USDA zone 4)" or something like that.

Pat, technically in (as you might have guessed) zone 5b of the Canadian system, which is more or less zone 4 by USDA specs. Although actually we're in a cold low pocket that's more like zone 4b and 3 respectively.

Chellie

Sprout
Reaction score
Another good map is the Sunset Climate Zone map, especially for those in the west. The USDA Hardiness map only covers winter lows and doesnt distinguish between other climate factors. The Sunset zones will give you additional information on your zone and can be used as a supplement to the USDA map, which is the map most often referred to in garden books (except the Sunset books, of course, LOL) and at garden sites.

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/garden/article/1,20633,845218,00.html

Chellie

USDA 8b / Sunset 15

Latest posts