Dividing Clematis

Flowerchick

Sprout
Reaction score
I have a "Nelly Moser" clematis that I planted about two years ago, and it is HUGE! It is on a trellis with a deep pink rose and looks gorgeous (the first flower opened today), but there is twice as much of it as the trellis and rose need. Can I divide it? I think it will need to wait until next fall or spring to try, but I don't want to kill it by trying to do something impossible. If I can, when and how? Thanks!:bee

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I Googled "dividing clematis" and found this. I hope it helps. I've never tried dividing clematis myself.

Dividing Clematis
Dividing clematis is one form of propagation of the plant. Dividing clematis consists of taking one plant that has grown well, and dividing it at the roots into two or more plants. These plants can then be transplanted to different areas of the garden to spread beauty elsewhere.
When dividing clematis plants, it is important to know what species the clematis is. Different clematis will bloom at different times, and thus division must be done at different times as well. Dividing clematis at the wrong time will hinder new season growth, limit blooms and has the possibility of even killing the plant. Observation of the growth cycle for a few seasons is the best way to determine when division should occur.

The best time to divide clematis is just before new growth will appear, and after the plant emerges from dormancy. When this time is reached, often in late February or March, the plant should be dug up and dirt should be cleared away from the root system. Many clematis plants are climbers, and will be stuck to a fence or other such medium. It is best to simply cut the plant off, leaving at least three to four good buds per stem.

Once the stems have been trimmed, the jumble of roots should be divided and each plant made should have an even amount of root. Now, take the separate plants and transplant them into the garden wherever desired. Ensure that the plant will get lots of full sun and water. It is best to plant the newly divided plants deeply into the soil, to give the weakened roots more protection from drought.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never tried dividing clematis because they say (you know, "they" ;)) that it is rather risky -- can easily kill the plant outright. I believe layering is considered the better means to propagate most clematis. (I've done it with C. tangutica myself, but never tried it with 'real' clematis). I also have it rattling around in the back of my head that some types come relatively easily from appropriately-timed cuttings as well...?

If you're going to try division, I'd wait til you barely see the first little green noses of new growth (which depending where you live, might mean next spring), dig it up generously, with as large a rootball as you can handle, and be very very gentle with it. See if you can ferret out a place where it 'naturally wants to' divide. (If you can't already see from aboveground a good separation between two sets of stems coming up from the roots, I wouldn't even TRY dividing it). Carefully tease it apart, preserving as many intact roots on both portions as possible. And be real, REAL nice to both halves for the next year or two.

Personally, though, I would just cut it back to the size I wanted; or, given that Nellie Moser is not the most petite clematis when happy, risk moving the entire thing somewhere else where it has suitable growing room and replant something with an intrinsically smaller habit on the trellis. If you move it, again do it when the first little green noses are just starting to show, and dig it up with as much rootball as you can handle. Moving clematis is not entirely risk-free -- if nothing else, they generally sulk for a year or even two -- but I think your chances of walking away with a living plant are higher ;)

Good luck,

Pat

Latest posts