DIY Leaf/lawn bagger

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to make a leaf bagger for a riding lawnmower?

I have a 'pony' mower from Lowes, and the little cart that comes with it.
I have a HUGE bag made of tarp material. I got it from a truck driver who hauled baled trash. It opens into about a 5' cube and has drawstrings at the opening.
I also have a short section of the ribbed drain pipe material that is (I think) 8" wide.

I'm thinking that a few screws would hold the plastic tube against the plastic discharge from the mower.
Sit the bag in the little cart. Poke the tube in the opening and pull the drawstrings as tight as they'll go. Maybe attach the loops of the strings to the front of the cart somehow?? (picturing something like a really weird cube shaped parade balloon following the mower around the yard - :lol: )
The tarp/bag is not air tight... would that be enough air flow to keep things from cloging?????? Or will I need to cut some small holes or something in the back side???

I've got about 1/2 acre of leaf covered yard that will need one more cut. And then LOTS of VERY overgrown/weedy pasture to cut down.
I'd like to use this to fill my brand new compost pile with lots of clippings, etc.

Any ideas???