Do You Battle a Invasive Plant ? NY Ban Sale of Certain Plants

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My land is filled with poison Ivy, no matter how much I kill more sprouts up some where. But what really has me nervous is purple loosestrife. Wetlands near me are covered in it. I like purple flowers but this has me scared. I found a small patch growing along stream, guess I have been very lucky till now. Do you have a plant, your worried will take over?

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ground Ivy/Glechoma hederacea is a constant nuisance for me. Once in the lawn it is hard to pull out without also removing a lot of grass in the process. Another good one locally is Japanese honeysuckle, strangling fences, bushes and slow moving gardeners.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Poison ivy for me as well. I'm using combo of crossbow, 2-4D, and glysophate on it. Don't want to hear about killing the earth...... P. I. is lethal to our dog, family, and me. I'd nuke it if I could. Crab grass in garden.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn I feel the same way, had to go to ER to many times because of PI. Most of my lawn is crab glass, without it I would have baked clay.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy , a couple of years ago I had left an unknown plant grow in a flower bed, where I tend to forget what all is planted in there. It got tall and lush and then got this beautiful purple flower. I had never seen loosestrife leaves up close, but I sure recognized the flower. :eek: I lopped that flower so fast and it took several jumps on a spade to get it out!

There is some loosestrife in the ditches around here, but I've never noticed any real big stands of it... closest is probably half a mile away that I know of. I assume it was a gift from a bird. Sure wish they would drop something nice like a hibiscus or rose bush.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have all listed so far. :hide

My toughest war is with reed canary grass. I don't know how it got it's innocent sounding name, it should be buzzard grass or maybe homicide grass. :somad It is a major threat to native wetlands, grows 4-6 feet tall and like most grasses, disturbed areas only makes it more aggressive. It's near the natural pond and cattails, so spraying is out. But we battle it with a row of black plastic behind the gardens and digging and more digging.

I think it is the reason for my dislike (maybe fear) of ornamental grasses.

Latest posts