Do you recognize these Jasmine seeds?

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
6396_jasmine_seeds.jpg

I put these on my scanner again since my camera is still out of commission. Thank God for the scanner!

Anyway, my plant-loving mil gave me these seeds; she picked them right off of a vine while i was standing there, and she said they were jasmine-but didn't know what kind of jasmine.

As you can probably tell, i couldn't resist splitting the little pod sections in half; there used to be two per.

I want to plant them. Mil had them vining around a post. But i've been googling, and i can't find out what kind of jasmine this is. I would really like to know before i decide where to put it. Is it going to be smelly? Is it edible? I don't think i want to vine it around a house post like she did because i didn't like the effect at her house. Anyway, i need to stop rambling. :duc

Anyone recognize them?
Can you tell me anything??

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do not know what type of Jas they are from, but I am amazed!

I have a Jasmine that is very mature, sorry I forget the name of it, I call it aggressive. This Jas. has put out a set of pods like you show, but the are about 2" long.

Now when I say put out a set, I mean just one set!
This thing is 20 foot long in each direction, I planted it at least 7 years ago and has just now decided to set seed!
Not much seed, well just two that I can find!

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
I do not know what type of Jas they are from, but I am amazed!

I have a Jasmine that is very mature, sorry I forget the name of it, I call it aggressive. This Jas. has put out a set of pods like you show, but the are about 2" long.

Now when I say put out a set, I mean just one set!
This thing is 20 foot long in each direction, I planted it at least 7 years ago and has just now decided to set seed!
Not much seed, well just two that I can find!

Joe
Wow! That one really makes you work for it!

I guess i can be sure i don't have that kind! :lol:

My mil planted this last fall, i'm pretty sure. I think she said it kind of dies back in the winter. But that might've been the air potatoes.

I'd love to see a picture of that ONE SEED POD. Geez!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought Jessamine and Jasmine are two different family groups?

The seedpods above look like Carolina Jessamine to me; I wonder what the difference is? :idunno

Ron

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
o.k., now you have me researching:

Carolina Jessamine is a.k.a. Trumpet Flower? Right? This isn't a trumpet vine. The reason i'm so sure is that i live in the midst of the only region where trumpet vines are native (per http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=GESE ).

It seems to me that the trumpet vine leaves are much larger than the vine i saw at mil's house.

Carolina Yellow Jasmine doesn't show up on the USDA's plant data base. And other sites list them as the same thing.

Now i have to wander outside with my flashlight and see if the trumpet vines by the mail box have seeds on them. :/

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
O.k., i sit and type, corrected. :p

Apparently there is a difference (though the blossoms are really similar) between a Trumpet Flower (Gelsemium sempervirens (L.)) and Trumpet Vine ( http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Natio...1/Number_6/Our_State_Flowers/The_Trumpet_Vine ), Bignonia radicans L.

This is a piece of the trumpet vine that ripped off in the dark with a flashlight next to the road like a crazy leaf-loving nut. It has no seeds on it right now.
6396_trumpet_vine.jpg

So perhaps, next year, i will have two different trumpeting vines.

And perhaps i shall have to train my native trumpet vine to something prettier than it's doing now. :rolleyes:

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
um. wow. ok--

jasmine and jessamine is the same thing.

here is more information about carolina yellow jasmine.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/G/gelsem.cfm

carolina yellow jasmine is NOT the same as trumpetvine. besides the flower shape being similarish in shape but not size they have nothing else in common other than being vines that will take over if you let them..