Do you think these are honey bees?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a few hundred of these on my birdbath. They look like European honey bees to me, but I think it's odd that none of them have pollen sacs. None of them.

Anyone have a different idea what they could be?
They are not aggressive, I fill the bird bath with the hose while standing next to it and they buzz right by me, but ignore me.

I've never had honey bees do this. My neighbor keeps bees, but they are about 1000 feet away at least,and he provides them with water.

20180721_140541.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
They sure LOOK like honey bees.
Do bees carry water back to the hive??? Not ALL the bees leave to get a drink, do they?
I've got a small area on the corner of my garden that stays pretty wet and I see several bees there almost every day.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The one looks like a drone. I’d say they have swarmed.

So yes, honeybees.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Must be other bee keepers around that I'm not aware of. The birds won't use the birdbath while they're there, which has pretty much been all day for the past 5 or 6 days.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes they are honey bees. They look exactly like ours. They may not have an abundant pollen source right now. Keeping water out will help assure you have bees and other pollinators around your yard. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
have you ever thought of your own hive ?

Oh yes. Lots of times! The thought stage has been as far as it's gotten for the past 40 years tho'.
I just have too many projects and responsibilities right now to add another one.

I feel like I'm already running around with my hair on fire all the time.

Latest posts