Does anyone have a recipe for zucchini?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have lots of zucchini growing in my garden right now. I picked the first one a little while ago to give it a try. My husband said I should let it grow to baseball bat size, but I read on here somewhere that the older they get the less tasty they are.

Anyway, this one wasn't too big but not tiny either. Cut it open and tried it raw. It didn't have a texture I was expecting, like cucumber or something, it was a bit more dry. Didn't care for it.

Tried baking it as a zucchini french fry...it didn't come out well. No fault of the zucchini. I ended up feeding it to the chickens.

I have several more growing in and would actually like to eat it. Any suggestions?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Type in imitation crab cakes

Obvious zucchini bread, deep fried breaded zucchini slices.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just like to dice it up and saute in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. I just love it and eat it every day while I can.

You can also cut in 1/4 inch circles and toss in a bowl with with olive oil. Dip each round in parmesan cheese and bread crumbs that have been seasoned with salt and pepper. Bake in 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes. This is a heathier version of frying.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmm, it never occurred to me to hide it like that... I have been forbidden to ever grow the stuff because my MIL used to just boil it and serve it that way. Needless to say, it's not a family favorite. But my mother grows it and is always trying to get rid of the stuff. DH is harvesting wheat today. Maybe I'll quick shred the one I got from Mom yesterday, put it in small bags and freeze it to hide it in the spaghetti sauce and chili! ;) What he doesn't know (or notice) won't hurt him.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have also taken the HUGE ones and split them length ways and scooped out the seeds. Then scoop out the zucchini, leaving the shell. Chop the zucchini and sauté with onions, mushrooms and bell pepper. Brown a pound of hamburger, drain off the grease, add the vegetables and spaghetti sauce. Stir it together and put in the zucchini shells. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Take out of the oven, top with favorite cheese and put back in the oven until cheese is melted. Serve with garlic French bread and a salad.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a friend who makes candy from it - OMG!!! SO good! I'll see if I can get the recipe for you.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Usually zucchini gets tough if it gets huge, but THIS year, we have had so much rain that even most of those big okra that you miss when harvesting have been tender. I have been eating tender, huge zucchini, this year, too. This week I'm going to be canning zucchini with tomatoes and onions. I did this several years ago and it was a real treat to open the next February. :love

Latest posts