Does my carrots have nematodes?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I have a few carrots out there and I pulled one to check if it was ready and found this. It tasted very sweet but could it have nematodes or is this normal.

DSC00258.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would call that "normal". If you are worried about nematodes, I have heard tilling in marigold plants will help...

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
awesome cause I ate it and then freaked out. I don't want nematodes! LOL

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You wouldn't know if you did eat them as they are microscopic in size.

Question, if a vegetarian eats a nematode, have they broken their vow? or worse yet, a vegan.

Looked normal. Want to see crazy looking carrots, grow them in gravel or rocky soil.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got all freaked out cause I read that nematodes are round worms and I not sure I want a parasite. Sometimes I think cool I could lose weight but that is just a fleeting thought.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I certainly have nematodes . . . well, ;) I mean in the yard and gardens.

As I understand it, they are absolutely everywhere and, altho' there are some very specific nematodes, some of those that are in the roots of other plants, including trees and shrubs, may also attack garden vegetables.

They seem to cause more or less problems depending on the year, variety and other factors. Growing baby carrots with their early harvest seems to work best . . . then there are other factors.

Kuroda have split like crazy by the end of their long season. Bolero didn't seem to split badly at all but had the weirdest shapes. I have had some years when Nelson came out of the ground late with an incredible amount of hair roots, up and down the carrot. It is not so great even tho' they can clean up well; the flavor is effected with all those nematodes.

Bacterial-feeders; fungal-feeders; root-feeders; and predatory nematodes . . .

I believe that studies have shown that growing a crop of (what was it?) Mexican marigolds and turning them under in the soil results in low numbers of nematodes in a vulnerable crop. BTW, tomato plants and just about everything are also vulnerable to nematode damage. At microscopic size and living in the soil, there aren't much one can do about nematodes. Especially, if they are surrounding us in the environment. Finally, and evidently, abundant nematode life indicates a fertile soil :rolleyes:.

Steve :hu

Latest posts