Does our thinking "evolve?"

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
the isolator.jpg
This idea above was from the 1920's. Actual oxygen has to be fed in thru a tube.

I had a strange dream the other night. "Carl" came by my "work station" and gestured for me to follow him. Now, this wasn't the Carl I used to work with, nor did it seem to be any place I ever worked! Anyway, I followed him to his desk.

"The company didn't make $500 yesterday or the day before," he said, looking at some papers. Oh, this didn't sound so good but I really had no real idea and wondered why he was telling me. He led me off among the office cubicles ...

We stopped at a young lady's desk and Carl proceeds to make small talk with her. I realize after a moment that he is just hitting on her and I'm wondering why I'm there.

As we turn to go, another woman hurries up to me and begins talking about our shared job responsibilities. I see that Carl is not stopping and I still don't know why he wanted me to accompany him. I take the coworker by the arm and say that I was with Carl and should, at least, stay in sight of him. I encourage her to continue speaking as we both follow Carl back to his desk. He ignores us and it is obvious to me that I am no longer "needed."

I awaken aware how rude I was for having turned away from this woman coworker so that I could be a participant in whatever Carl's game was ... a little late but ... maybe I'm evolving.

digitS'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'd rust on too much oxygen!

There was something on women's empowerment that I heard about recently. A woman and her male boss talked with a reporter on the boss becoming aware of how the woman was not granted the same recognition as men. This woman and her husband worked together in the same office. They sent emails for a time, each using the name of the spouse, to the company clients. Then, they compared the effectiveness of their advice in the client responses.

The boss had not believed that the advice of the woman was discounted as often as it was. All it took was for her to change her name to a masculine one to be more effective in her job. I don't know what this revelation did for her long-term employment security with the firm if she continues to choose to use her feminine name. Be that as it may, she probably has to meet with clients as she does with coworkers and they become aware of her sex.

The boss defended his earlier ignorance by saying that this sort of thing has to be experienced to be understood. He no longer discounts it but he had to be made aware of subtle and, maybe even, not-so-subtle discrimination to recognize it.

Old Boys Clubs form almost by nature - workplace and business camaraderie by association. It is quite a big step to get to Old Girls & Boys Club. I've done and said, and not done and not said, all sorts of things in my relationships with others that have diminished them. I don't suppose that could have been spread much broader than HALF the human population.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not into reading tea leaves, not as an imagined fortune telling. I resist that and instead believe that there is a balance to most everything. Despite a slight wobble, the Earth does not spin out of its orbit, not in my lifetime, not in Caesar's. Weight may be added to a pendulum until it breaks or comes naturally to a stop. Still, everything it is or was has been gathered from someplace and was near at hand.

Fortunately, the good balances bad, replenishing balances destruction but time is required and we live in the moment.

I have been reading a little Wallace Stevens. He was good at creatively gathering what was at hand for his poetry. I don't know that this artistry makes it any more right. It could be argued both ways. Here's a little something for you:

There are men of the East, he said,
who are the East.
There are men of a province
who are that province.
There are men of a valley
who are that valley.

from "Anecdote of Men by the Thousand"

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You would have to go back in time and ask that question of Mr Grensback, @thistlebloom .

Ha! My spellchecker wants to change your name to "@guidebook!" Anyway, there are other ideas that might need to be revived, lying dormant for decades and shown in that "news"paper article i linked on valley's motorhome thread. I might be able to balance that wheel the guy is sitting in but the women's "beauty aids" look like various forms of torture!

I'm not wearing anything thing like any of that now or on any trip back in time. Claustrophobic! I'm more the type to look at the cracks in the masonry or fish the empty spool of thread out from under the furniture like a mischievous tomcat. Did you know that DNA analysis of dental plaque is showing us the diet of Neanderthals?

! Steve